Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Bummed about batting

Blog Entries
    So I bought 2 king size Hobbs 80/20 batting and wanted to preshrink it. I soaked it in the washing machine according to the directions, drained it. I believe it was fine when I put it in the dryer. I fluffed it in the dryer and when it came out a lot of it was shredded. I wonder if any of it is useful--how do I know if the non shredded portions are uniform thickness? How do I know that they also haven't been weakened? Bummer.

O.M.G..............I think perhaps you got a defective batch....I would call Hobbs, and tell them what you did and the results you got....and perhaps push for a refund....batting is not cheap and especailly king size....

I have never washed any batting by its self.
    I been afraid to. Been making quilt for 27 years.
    I guess I'd use it to stuff pillows or toys now
    that it is shredded. Sorry this had to happen to you, batting is not cheep.

I'd do it in the bathtub and not put it in the dryer.
    I don't preshrink mine because I like the antiqued / puckered look it gives. HOwever, a friend who owns a quilt shop does it and she does hers in the bath tub.

Power Poster
    Bummer indeed! I don't wash my batting until it's in the quilt and quilted. I guess you could use the good parts for smaller projects or the bits for stuffing. P.S. This is the second post. The first one is out wondering in cyberspace somewhere. Don't you hate that?

The first time I ever presoaked this type of batting I did not realized that you could not agitate it. That step was left out by the individual giving me the directions. Did not work well. I have used Hobbs 80/20 since then in the washer but just skipped the agitation part and then put in dryer. No shredding problems. If you did not agitate it then it very well might be defective.

Contact Hobbs they should give a replacement batting.

I only soak my Hobbs 80/20 in the washing machine, skip the wash, rinse, 2nd wash and rinse cycles and just spin dry the batting, then I spread it on my dining room table with the ceiling fan on and it dries quickly. I don't think putting the batting in the dryer is a good idea.

I have never tried shrinking any. I also like the puckered look.

I only air fluff it in my dryer to get wrinkles and bunching smoothed out. Have never had Hobbs shred.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Oh mercy!! :evil:
    Hobbs is made in Waco, TX. Having lived in TX for years and years, I have used Hobbs 80/20 cotton batting since Noah's ark was built and have never had this problem.

On an evening, I load batting to the washer, full the tub with cool water, stop the machine, agitate a little by hand -- this is hard to do so you needn't fear over-doing it -- then let it sit a bit, drain the machine, spin on gentle.
    I air fluff in the dryer, no heat, then take it to the living room where I toss it over all the furniture to dry overnight. Works every time.:D

I'm sure they will make it right if it was a bad batch.

Jan in VA

Blog Entries
    I wonder how big the dryer was? It may have shredded from rubbing against itself. Did you do just one king sized batting at a time?

I often preshrink Hobbs 80/20 batting by putting it in hot water in my clotheswasher and letting it set about 30 minutes. DO NOT Agitate. Spin out the water and place in clothesdryer, prema press clycle to dry. I have never had any problems with it. Comes out so nice, fluffy and soft. Since it gave you problems you might want to contact Hobbs.

Blog Entries
    i use warm n natural 80/20. and i preshrink my fabric. after the quilt is done and washed, there is very little puckering. so i would never think of trying to preshrink my batting. so sorry this happened to you

Quote Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo
    I have never pre washed any batting either. I have done business directly with Hobbs before. Give them a call: 1-800-433-3357.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    I have never pre washed any batting either. I have done business directly with Hobbs before. Give them a call: 1-800-433-3357.
    Well, I called them and they asked me to photograph the damage and they indicated that they would send me new packages. They were very nice! Thanks for suggesting that I contact them. This list never ceases to amaze me.

Quote Originally Posted by carol45
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    Well, I called them and they asked me to photograph the damage and they indicated that they would send me new packages. They were very nice! Thanks for suggesting that I contact them. This list never ceases to amaze me.
    Outstanding....great to hear when a company stands behind their products...will now make a note to buy Hobbs.....

Hobbs is am amazing company. If you think you have defective batting just send a 6" squarish piece of the batting to Hobbs at 200 S. Commerce ,Waco, Texas 76710. Make it to the attention of Bill Neal. As with any manufacturing process, sometimes there is a glitch. If there is a defect, they will gladly replace your batting.
    Preshrinking batting is a tricky business. Most batting states that it must be quilted every so many inches. This is because it needs to be stabilized with stitching this close to preserve the integrity of the batting. So... a very gently soaking and a gently air fluff or air dry is the safest- never agitate an unquilted batt. Even if the batting stays in tact you will loose some of the fiber in the dryer just like when drying clothes. It seems a waste to pull fibers out of your batt before it even makes it into the quilt :-) When I don't want any puckering, I don't prewash my fabrics and let the fabric and batt shrink together. I do use a color catcher just in case any of the fabric bleeds a little. I apologize for the length of this reply but I hope it helps someone just a little. If you have any questions please just give me a shout!

This is why I prefer Quilter's Dream products.

WONDERFUL news! and good for Hobbs!
    Yes, this board is amazing.

Have never prewashed any batting, been doing this a very long time.
    Now I am wondering what the mfgrs of batting say about prewashing.........

I would guess the spin dry probably did the most damage, but am glad Hobbs is replacing it for you. I never shrink the batting either and if I did, would put it in the bathtub and then squeeze the moisture out best as I could and if possible lay it outside to dry. Just my two cents worth for the day.

Ditto

I use only warm and natural, never preshrink either fabric or batting. and even go so far as to always wash my items after I am done so they get "that crinkle-look" before I give them ways. I wash after for several reasons, figure during the entire process, with my constatnt hand touching, they get a little dirty. Want to make sure all my seams are good and tight, and make sure nothing 'runs'....I personally like the crinkle-look, but also want my receivers to know what it is going to look like after washing....had one person who received a quilt I had not washed, run into all these problems, and most of all they were in tears because they thought they had ruined it. If it is an heirloom or show piece of course I don't wash, but those pieces are few and far between.....

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    woohoo glad ya called them and are going to send them a photo, and they are going to send you new packages.
    I have never washed the batting until after its quilted.

I do pre shrink my 80/20 batting all of the time BUT I do not use the dryer until it is dry! I soak in warm H2O in laundry sink then spin in washing machine. I then hang in laundry room over night until dry. Then I put in dryer on low warm setting to fluff up. Works fine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast