Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bummed about batting >

Bummed about batting

Bummed about batting

Old 10-13-2011, 06:44 AM

I would guess the spin dry probably did the most damage, but am glad Hobbs is replacing it for you. I never shrink the batting either and if I did, would put it in the bathtub and then squeeze the moisture out best as I could and if possible lay it outside to dry. Just my two cents worth for the day.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo
I have never washed any batting by its self.
I been afraid to. Been making quilt for 27 years.
I guess I'd use it to stuff pillows or toys now
that it is shredded. Sorry this had to happen to you, batting is not cheep.
Ditto
Old 10-13-2011, 06:52 AM

I use only warm and natural, never preshrink either fabric or batting. and even go so far as to always wash my items after I am done so they get "that crinkle-look" before I give them ways. I wash after for several reasons, figure during the entire process, with my constatnt hand touching, they get a little dirty. Want to make sure all my seams are good and tight, and make sure nothing 'runs'....I personally like the crinkle-look, but also want my receivers to know what it is going to look like after washing....had one person who received a quilt I had not washed, run into all these problems, and most of all they were in tears because they thought they had ruined it. If it is an heirloom or show piece of course I don't wash, but those pieces are few and far between.....
Old 10-13-2011, 06:58 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

woohoo glad ya called them and are going to send them a photo, and they are going to send you new packages.
I have never washed the batting until after its quilted.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:15 AM

I do pre shrink my 80/20 batting all of the time BUT I do not use the dryer until it is dry! I soak in warm H2O in laundry sink then spin in washing machine. I then hang in laundry room over night until dry. Then I put in dryer on low warm setting to fluff up. Works fine.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

Hobbs Bonded Fibers
200 S. Commerce
Waco, Texas 76710

(254) 741-0040

800-433-3357

Need More Information:
For more information, please contact us at [email protected].
contact them. i bought a roll at Hobby Lobby that was fusible and it stuck together so badly, after one hour i ended up with some holes. i tried Hobby Lobby but they wouldn't even exchange. emailed Hobbs and later on got two replacement rolls in the mail.
Ah! i see you did contact them. great!!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:25 AM
j

I wouldnt even attempt to wash batting, I figure if it says quilt even 4 or 6 inches - that when the quilt is washed it will all shrink together. - J
Old 10-13-2011, 08:45 AM

Mine did the same thing. I guess there isn't enough scrim in it to dry it in the dryer. I buy it by the roll and ruined 2 big chunks. So I guess we won't do that again!

So that I could give my customers a better choice, i bought a roll of Quilters' Dream Blend. It will stay together in the wash! It shrinks very little.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:49 AM

I will not put batting in the washer or dryer again--it will go into hot water in the bathtub and then I'll drain it as best I can and dry it by laying it flat.
I do like to shrink it first.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pamt
Mine did the same thing. I guess there isn't enough scrim in it to dry it in the dryer.
I'm pretty sure Hobbs 80/20 doesn't have scrim. That's one reason I prefer it. It is bonded and needlepunched, but not through scrim.