Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bummed about batting >

Bummed about batting

Bummed about batting

Old 10-13-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by judi wess
This is why I prefer Quilter's Dream products.
Do Quilter's Dream products not shrink???

I do not like the puckered look so would like to find
a batting that doesn't automatically do that but is
still washable.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:55 PM

Glad you called them. I also use Hobbs 80/20 and have not had a problemas you described. I'll bet they take good care of you.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:18 PM

Ive tried Hobbs battings a few times and just dont care for it. You just gave me another reason to avoid it.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by whinnytoo
Ive tried Hobbs battings a few times and just dont care for it. You just gave me another reason to avoid it.
I really like Hobbs batting and I never had this problem before. Since the company has been so nice, I will certainly continue getting it.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama
Originally Posted by judi wess
This is why I prefer Quilter's Dream products.
Do Quilter's Dream products not shrink???

I do not like the puckered look so would like to find
a batting that doesn't automatically do that but is
still washable.
Quilter's Dream has several kinds of batting. Their Dream Poly says, minimal to no shrinkage. Their Dream Blend is 70% cotton and 30% poly. It says it will not stretch, pucker of bunch.

I just ordered their Dream Poly to try it. They also carry Dream Cotton, Dream Wool, Dream Green (from recycled plastic bottles) and not supposed to shrink much, and Dream Orient (bamboo).
Old 10-13-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by carol45
So I bought 2 king size Hobbs 80/20 batting and wanted to preshrink it. I soaked it in the washing machine according to the directions, drained it. I believe it was fine when I put it in the dryer. I fluffed it in the dryer and when it came out a lot of it was shredded. I wonder if any of it is useful--how do I know if the non shredded portions are uniform thickness? How do I know that they also haven't been weakened? Bummer.
I think I have posted a couple times that one of my instructors decided to test all the different brands of batting we could come up with for her quilt class.(soaked in washer /dried in dryer) We were so surprised when we saw that the Hobbs was shredded with our test at that time it was the most popular in the shop. I removed it donated/reduced and stop caring Hobbs. When I hear quilter say they have used it I am so sad. We did a shortened machine cycle I hate to think what a couple washings would do to a quilt w/HB. If you want a good quality batting Quilter Dream batting is great.
I hope you ladies will find this info. helpful
Old 10-13-2011, 05:08 PM

Call or email Hobbs tell them about your experience. I have contacted other companies for problems with batting.
The companies have replaced the defective batting.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:58 PM

Quilter's Dream is a quality batting but so is Hobbs. On any batting we need to be sure to check the suggested distance for quilting. If we follow directions there shouldn't have a problem with the finished quilt.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by carol45
Originally Posted by whinnytoo
I really like Hobbs batting and I never had this problem before. Since the company has been so nice, I will certainly continue getting it.
I've been longarm quilting for 8 years and I keep Hobbs cotton and 80/20 for my customers. I've often pre-soaked it and dried it in the dryer. Never a problem. I am not surprised they made good on it. They are a good company and I love the batting too.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:13 AM

I have never preshrunk my batting, as I never prewash anything, but, the last roll of batting I bought seeems to have a greater shrinkage. I nticed all my quilts after being washed before being given away/sold, are really wrinkly. After reading your story, I'm not too sure I would want to preshrink my batting. So my question is: Is there a batting out there that does not shrink after washing the completed quilt?