Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   button glue? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/button-glue-t226640.html)

running1 07-27-2013 10:06 AM

button glue?

Hello all... I know someone will have the answer to my problem here... you always do! It is a little complicated... long story, short: a friend gave me her mother's button collection to choose buttons for a quilt I'm making. (she doesn't craft/sew/quilt and knew I'd make good use of them...) I decided to make her a block (hand blanket-stitched snowflakes out of flannels)like the blocks in my quilt and put the ONE button she pointed out that had always been her favorite. She can use it as a tiny wall hanging (8" x 8") perhaps.

So here's my problem. I was stitching the button to the block and the little loop on the back of the old plastic button just popped right off after I put about three threads through it... OH NO!!! How should I attach this button to the fabric? hot glue? Momma used to have some kind of sticky fabric glue... Alene's tacky-something? Should I now put the block in a shadow box frame? What to do!!??? please help????

Scissor Queen 07-27-2013 10:36 AM

I think I'd probably try Jewel-It. There's also a glue made for fabric but I don't remember what the name of that one is and all of my glues are packed and in storage. I'd go to JoAnn's and look thru their glue selection and read the labels.

kareno 07-27-2013 10:47 AM

since it probably won't be washed, you should be able to get away with hot gluing it to the piece.

snipforfun 07-27-2013 11:40 AM

If the"shank" is off you can glue it with Fabric Tac. Got mine from Joanns. A little $ but does the job. Use a coupon

Tartan 07-27-2013 11:43 AM

I have an Arlene's gift pack of a variety of the glues. The one I think would work is Arlene's Jewel-it. It sassy, " holds jewels permanently though repeated washing." Hot glue would probably hold it if there is a hole or rough area on the back of the button for the hot glue to grab.

yngldy 07-27-2013 12:09 PM

Jewel-it is my choice for almost anything washable that needs to be ATTACHED. It stays!

cindi 07-27-2013 01:12 PM

I know this won't help, but your question made me giggle when I thought of my DH, who glues his buttons on his shirts with Super Glue. He wads up the shirt to a point, drops some SG on it, and plops the button on. It lasts through several washings, and then he does it again. And no, I don't do mending. He can glue it on, sew it on or go buy a new dang shirt.

husker67 07-27-2013 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by cindi (Post 6199369)
I know this won't help, but your question made me giggle when I thought of my DH, who glues his buttons on his shirts with Super Glue. He wads up the shirt to a point, drops some SG on it, and plops the button on. It lasts through several washings, and then he does it again. And no, I don't do mending. He can glue it on, sew it on or go buy a new dang shirt.

Now THIS is funny!!!!!

BellaBoo 07-27-2013 01:51 PM

Jewel It is the best for buttons or gems on fabric. Dries clear and will hold up to washing and drying.

running1 07-28-2013 10:24 AM

Cindi, that is priceless!!! Now why didn't I think of that!! ha ha ha... love it...