Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: button glue?

Blog Entries

button glue?

Hello all... I know someone will have the answer to my problem here... you always do! It is a little complicated... long story, short: a friend gave me her mother's button collection to choose buttons for a quilt I'm making. (she doesn't craft/sew/quilt and knew I'd make good use of them...) I decided to make her a block (hand blanket-stitched snowflakes out of flannels)like the blocks in my quilt and put the ONE button she pointed out that had always been her favorite. She can use it as a tiny wall hanging (8" x 8") perhaps.

So here's my problem. I was stitching the button to the block and the little loop on the back of the old plastic button just popped right off after I put about three threads through it... OH NO!!! How should I attach this button to the fabric? hot glue? Momma used to have some kind of sticky fabric glue... Alene's tacky-something? Should I now put the block in a shadow box frame? What to do!!??? please help????
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

I think I'd probably try Jewel-It. There's also a glue made for fabric but I don't remember what the name of that one is and all of my glues are packed and in storage. I'd go to JoAnn's and look thru their glue selection and read the labels.

since it probably won't be washed, you should be able to get away with hot gluing it to the piece.

Blog Entries
    If the"shank" is off you can glue it with Fabric Tac. Got mine from Joanns. A little $ but does the job. Use a coupon

Power Poster
    I have an Arlene's gift pack of a variety of the glues. The one I think would work is Arlene's Jewel-it. It sassy, " holds jewels permanently though repeated washing." Hot glue would probably hold it if there is a hole or rough area on the back of the button for the hot glue to grab.

Jewel-it is my choice for almost anything washable that needs to be ATTACHED. It stays!

I know this won't help, but your question made me giggle when I thought of my DH, who glues his buttons on his shirts with Super Glue. He wads up the shirt to a point, drops some SG on it, and plops the button on. It lasts through several washings, and then he does it again. And no, I don't do mending. He can glue it on, sew it on or go buy a new dang shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by cindi View Post
    I know this won't help, but your question made me giggle when I thought of my DH, who glues his buttons on his shirts with Super Glue. He wads up the shirt to a point, drops some SG on it, and plops the button on. It lasts through several washings, and then he does it again. And no, I don't do mending. He can glue it on, sew it on or go buy a new dang shirt.

Now THIS is funny!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Jewel It is the best for buttons or gems on fabric. Dries clear and will hold up to washing and drying.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Cindi, that is priceless!!! Now why didn't I think of that!! ha ha ha... love it...

Another way to go? Super-glue the shank back on the button and sew as usual.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cindi View Post
    Bwaaa haaa haaaa!!! Why have I never heard this story before?!!? Too funny!

Blog Entries
    I agree with all that recommend Jewel It. Did my DD xmas sweat suit when she was expecting. All glitz and sparkles, including the little battery lights. All stones were glued with this. Very funky and fun!

Blog Entries
    Forgot to add.....Did all this, knowing her hubby makes fun of any garments with glitz(sarcastically). Calls it "Elvis garb"! Do you think I am mean? Everyone else really enjoyed the outfit.

If you don't want to glue it directly to the fabric, stitch on a small button then glue the special button to the top of that one...no glue on the fabric, and it can be taken off if necessary. this is the way I "sew" flat marbles, small rocks, etc onto art quilts.
    Kate

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ktbb View Post
    If you don't want to glue it directly to the fabric, stitch on a small button then glue the special button to the top of that one...no glue on the fabric, and it can be taken off if necessary. this is the way I "sew" flat marbles, small rocks, etc onto art quilts.
    Great idea!! I'm so thankful for this board.. so many good ideas... Thanks to everyone who has commented on this!!