Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   To buy or not to buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buy-not-buy-t228139.html)

msrosecooks 08-17-2013 06:53 AM

To buy or not to buy?

I was wondering if I could get some opinions re: maybe purchasing a quilting system. I have an opportunity to buy a Juki TL98Q with a 10 to 12 ft frame. Very nice set up. It would cost 500 dollars. Just wondering if anyone has this kind of set up? The machine of my dreams would be the HQ system, but out of financial reach rt. now... Would appreciate feedback.Thanks guys.....

DebraK 08-17-2013 06:59 AM

$500 sounds very reasonable. Do you have a chance to try it out?

Peckish 08-17-2013 07:01 AM

I'm not familiar with that machine, but if it's a 9" throat, that is a good price for machine and frame. My only recommendation is to get the largest throat space you can afford. :)

DOTTYMO 08-17-2013 07:02 AM

If the HQ IS the one of your dreams look for one then try both to decide. My set up is the one you are thinking about and I'm looking at possible trying to get a stronger frame Han the wood one I have . But I love the sewing machine it's a real beast.

Keep looking till you have the one that feels just right in your hands.

rjwilder 08-17-2013 07:23 AM

I have the Juki 2010Q, with an 8ft table, that's all I have room for. I paid about $2000. for it two years ago. I have used it at least twice a week since I bought it. I have had no problems at all and I have really enjoyed my purchase. Just make sure you follow the oiling instructions for the Juki, and clean the fuzz off of it. I also wipe the tracks down with a cloth with some oil on it. It helps keep everything sliding smoothly. I also have a Juki dealer about 30 minutes from my house, that was important to me in case I ever need to have it serviced. I make wall hangings, lap/baby quilts and charity quilts so the small frame is perfect for me.

Prism99 08-17-2013 10:21 AM

I think that would be a great way to get into frame quilting. The Juki is a great machine. Its limited throat space will limit you on designs, but the setup will be very likely to retain value if/when you decide to upgrade to a setup with more quilting space. I think that of any frame system you could purchase for $500, this would be the best -- because the Juki is such a favored machine. If you upgrade, you might still want to keep the Juki for straight stitching. I believe the Juki is what Sharon Schamber uses for piecing.

patchsamkim 08-17-2013 01:05 PM

That is a great price! Especially if the machine is in good working condition.

Ginaky 08-17-2013 04:09 PM

I paid over $1500 for this same set up (Juki 98Q and Little Gracie II frame) about three years ago. I think this would be a very good price. The Juki machines are in great demand and just the machine used would cost that much.

sewplease 08-17-2013 07:52 PM

I would get it in a heartbeat! Great deal!

lfletcher 08-18-2013 05:55 AM

I would buy it. I started with an inexpensive midarm and traded up when I could afford it. I think you could sell it for the same price when you are ready to trade up to your "dream" setup.