Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: To buy or not to buy?

Smile To buy or not to buy?

I was wondering if I could get some opinions re: maybe purchasing a quilting system. I have an opportunity to buy a Juki TL98Q with a 10 to 12 ft frame. Very nice set up. It would cost 500 dollars. Just wondering if anyone has this kind of set up? The machine of my dreams would be the HQ system, but out of financial reach rt. now... Would appreciate feedback.Thanks guys.....

$500 sounds very reasonable. Do you have a chance to try it out?
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    I'm not familiar with that machine, but if it's a 9" throat, that is a good price for machine and frame. My only recommendation is to get the largest throat space you can afford.

Blog Entries
    If the HQ IS the one of your dreams look for one then try both to decide. My set up is the one you are thinking about and I'm looking at possible trying to get a stronger frame Han the wood one I have . But I love the sewing machine it's a real beast.

Keep looking till you have the one that feels just right in your hands.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I have the Juki 2010Q, with an 8ft table, that's all I have room for. I paid about $2000. for it two years ago. I have used it at least twice a week since I bought it. I have had no problems at all and I have really enjoyed my purchase. Just make sure you follow the oiling instructions for the Juki, and clean the fuzz off of it. I also wipe the tracks down with a cloth with some oil on it. It helps keep everything sliding smoothly. I also have a Juki dealer about 30 minutes from my house, that was important to me in case I ever need to have it serviced. I make wall hangings, lap/baby quilts and charity quilts so the small frame is perfect for me.

Blog Entries
    I think that would be a great way to get into frame quilting. The Juki is a great machine. Its limited throat space will limit you on designs, but the setup will be very likely to retain value if/when you decide to upgrade to a setup with more quilting space. I think that of any frame system you could purchase for $500, this would be the best -- because the Juki is such a favored machine. If you upgrade, you might still want to keep the Juki for straight stitching. I believe the Juki is what Sharon Schamber uses for piecing.

That is a great price! Especially if the machine is in good working condition.

I paid over $1500 for this same set up (Juki 98Q and Little Gracie II frame) about three years ago. I think this would be a very good price. The Juki machines are in great demand and just the machine used would cost that much.
    Regina in Richmond, KY

I would get it in a heartbeat! Great deal!
    Laura

I would buy it. I started with an inexpensive midarm and traded up when I could afford it. I think you could sell it for the same price when you are ready to trade up to your "dream" setup.

Sounds like a great price.

I had that set up for a few years. I paid $600, For mine, used. It worked good. But you do have the 9" throat that you have to keep thinking about as you quilt. I sold my Jukie which is a super tough machine and still have the frame which I used with my 6600 Janome. but this summer I bought my dream sweet sixteen which I am loving.

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    If the HQ IS the one of your dreams look for one then try both to decide. My set up is the one you are thinking about and I'm looking at possible trying to get a stronger frame Han the wood one I have . But I love the sewing machine it's a real beast.

Keep looking till you have the one that feels just right in your hands.
    My husband beefed up my frame by using straight aluminum pipes that he slipped over the telescoping ones and it was great after that. Not so wobbly.

That's a super price...It's what I started with until I could afford a bigger machine for my frame and I'm still using the Juki for piecing....I say GO FOR IT!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Sounds like an excellent price...if you can, try it out first before purchase.
    Happy quilting!

The Juki 98Q is a well made industrial machine. It can be stretched to 18" in the future if you want to go that route later on. The guy that does this has had a bit a trouble with his stretching technique but hopefully he has remedied the problem. I had one stretched and it was dream to use. Had it on a 10 foot frame and even added robotics to it. I've since moved up to 26" system on a 12 foot frame. Again, the Juki machine is a well made machine. If its been taken care of, you should have no problems with it. Ask to try it out before buying if its nearby.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I've had that machine, and it was great with a smaller frame. With the 9 in throat and the roller bar under the throat, I needed to reroll for quilting every 6-7 inches, so it would be hard to quilt a 12 inch block on a quilt all at the same time. However, That is a great price for all of that.

Blog Entries
    I have the same model Juki and Love, Love, Love, it. I use it more than my Baby Lock. I also have the Little Gracie II frame, however, I don't use it because it takes up so much room that I get claustropobic (sp). I paid MUCH more that that new. If you have the room, you will love the frame, also.

I have the Juki TL98QE, which doesn't have the extension table. I paid 700.00 for it in 2008. It has never been in the shop. I try to keep it oiled, per manual. I have quilted lots of quilts on it. I don't have a frame, no room for that.
    I would buy another Juki without thinking about it.
    Sounds like a good deal for the machine alone.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.