Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying fabric for when I retire... doesn't quit work for me.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-fabric-when-i-retire-doesnt-quit-work-me-t51850.html)

Jim's Gem 06-29-2010 10:07 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!
I have enough fabric in my stash for hundreds of future projects. Now, I still feel the need to buy more fabrics or maybe add a different fabric to some I already have. There are such pretty new fabrics that come out all the time and they just call my name!

thequilteddove 06-29-2010 10:11 AM

*giggles* Your stash sounds typical :) They're never big enough and they never have exactly all that you need for the 'pending project'. That's what's so great about them! We get to still buy something!

Some of us have to take part time jobs to feed our stash habits lol

sunnycat 06-29-2010 10:12 AM

I'm not really a stasher. I've found, for me at least, that stashing leaves me with things I don't really want years later. I buy for a specific project. However, it's always nice to have something on hand to whip up quick gifts. I'm just not keeping several king sized quilts worth on hand.

sandybeach 06-29-2010 12:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by sunnycat
I'm not really a stasher. I've found, for me at least, that stashing leaves me with things I don't really want years later. I buy for a specific project. However, it's always nice to have something on hand to whip up quick gifts. I'm just not keeping several king sized quilts worth on hand.

I am the same way. I am stocking up on "kits". I find a quilt pattern I especially like in a magazine and buy what fabric I need to make it. Then I put the fabric and pattern in a shoe box from WalMart and put it on a shelf. I have quite a few right now, but then I am 61 and plan to retire in 5 more years, so it really is my "retirement fund".

Looks like I have about 23 kits so far
[ATTACH=CONFIG]85234[/ATTACH]

Grandmama Pat 06-30-2010 04:43 AM

You who talk about retiring or are already retired are very fortunate. I am 70 and still working and don't know really when I will be able to retire. My stash is huge and like many others have said, when I start to quilt I always have to buy some more fabric. I have built my stash over the years for when I "retire." Now, I'm not so sure that's ever going to happen for me.

jan22 06-30-2010 05:25 AM

When I was working I'd buy fabric if I liked it. Then I started buying sale fabric picking out things that would blend or go with what I had in my stash. Last year I accepted the buy out my employer was offering, so now without a regular paycheck I find that I only buy when it's a really good sale or when I need 1 color I don't have. Yellow seems to be the color I have least of and never can match with what I have. Backing and batting are my major purchases with a treat of a yard or two of bali's in between just to make me feel good.

aliaslaceygreen 06-30-2010 06:44 AM

My girlfriend and I refer to our Stash's as our Fabric 401k plan.
After all, a yard is a yard is a yard, purchased at 1990 prices or 2020 prices!!!

quiltmom04 06-30-2010 07:25 AM

I have a fairly large stash - and even then I don't always have what I need. 9 times out of 10 I'll have to add something to my stash to complete a quilt. If you buy something for a particular quilt, put it all together in a zip bag, so you don't inadvertently use it for something else till you get to it.

DebbyT 06-30-2010 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
I have a fairly large stash - and even then I don't always have what I need. 9 times out of 10 I'll have to add something to my stash to complete a quilt. If you buy something for a particular quilt, put it all together in a zip bag, so you don't inadvertently use it for something else till you get to it.

I like your suggestion. I just retired and have had the time to research different patterns I want to do. Now I will get those zip bags and put those plans into action. -- Thanks.

EC 06-30-2010 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by jan22
When I was working I'd buy fabric if I liked it. Then I started buying sale fabric picking out things that would blend or go with what I had in my stash. Last year I accepted the buy out my employer was offering, so now without a regular paycheck I find that I only buy when it's a really good sale or when I need 1 color I don't have. Yellow seems to be the color I have least of and never can match with what I have. Backing and batting are my major purchases with a treat of a yard or two of bali's in between just to make me feel good.

For me, yellow is the color I have the most trouble with. Never seem to find just the right yellow for a project, even at the store!