Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying fabric for when I retire... doesn't quit work for me.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-fabric-when-i-retire-doesnt-quit-work-me-t51850.html)

leakus 06-28-2010 06:58 PM

I am in the mid forties. Cannot wait to retire to have more time to quilt. Less than a month ago, I had the urgency of making a bed quilt for my 5 yr old son. (I'll post a picture when I finish it)- to make the story short. I was looking into my stash to make this quilt for him and I realized of 2 really bad things- or 3.
1- my stash is not really big- I have to keep working on it...
2- I picked some fabrics to start his quilt but didn't have all to finished it- I needed more fabric/s either to combine with the ones I had or the yardage I had was not enough
3- I will have to keep buying fabric for ever!! I have to re-do my figures to ensure I'll have money for it in my retirment plan.
Does it happen to you? Do you think of buying fabric for your future projects? Should I not worry as there will be always websites where to buy fabric... and money to sustain my hobby!

amma 06-28-2010 07:02 PM

I buy when I find good sales... prices will always be going up, but my income doesn't increase at the same rate :wink:

sweet 06-28-2010 07:09 PM

I would look really hard at some of the wonderful designers out there and examine their lines. If you are attracted to a particular line then pick up some charms or some yardage. Each season when they come out with new patterns, they will be in the same color schemes, like the Kansas by Moda. Then you can add to it over time....

Have fun!!!!

Maride 06-28-2010 07:21 PM

Keep in mind that the reason so many people has such large stash is in part because your taste changes. You love a fabric and buy it. ready to make a new quilt but nothing you already have works. Time to go shopping again. Months or maybe years down the road, those fabrics work great for a totally different quilt. Or you hate them forever and end up giving them away. No way to predict what you will like later.

raptureready 06-28-2010 07:41 PM

Buying fabric now may seem like a good idea but your tastes will change. You might try just getting blenders or more neutral colors now and then get what's in style later on. Some things, of course, never go out of style such as your 30's and 40's, Civil War, or any other vintage prints. So keep that in mind when you're buying now for future use. When you do retire, you will find a way to afford fabric. The money you save on lunches, travel, extra clothing will go to pay for fabric.

littlehud 06-28-2010 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Maride
Keep in mind that the reason so many people has such large stash is in part because your taste changes. You love a fabric and buy it. ready to make a new quilt but nothing you already have works. Time to go shopping again. Months or maybe years down the road, those fabrics work great for a totally different quilt. Or you hate them forever and end up giving them away. No way to predict what you will like later.

Well said. That is where I am with some of mine.

sharon b 06-28-2010 07:45 PM

I did buy for the future, as I knew a while ago that the company I was working for was going under, so I stocked up :wink: LOL Now I have the time to do the things I wanted to do, but spend way too much time here :oops: LOL

For the record I am in my mid 40's and now have enough fabric to last me ooohhh... maybe 20 years if I made a quit a week :roll: LOL

BellaBoo 06-28-2010 07:46 PM

I think stocking up on good thread, batting and backing fabric would be a better stash for retirement. Those are basic and always cost more then you want to spend.

sharon b 06-28-2010 07:46 PM

OH by the way Welcome to the board :thumbup:

CarrieAnne 06-28-2010 07:55 PM

I dont stock up, since I cant really afford it....but if I see some at a garage sale, even if it isnt my style, I buy it. You never know what you might need in the future or someone else can use. I do collect 30's prints though, for scrappy quilts, but I buy a fat quarter just once in a while as a treat.