Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-fabrics-t62116.html)

dls 08-30-2010 07:06 AM

I used to buy lots of fabrics to build a stash. A couple of years ago I decided to do something with the bulk of it before I bought more. Even to make a scrappy quilt the fabrics have to go together in an eye appealing way so I decided to do smaller projects. I now have quite a large collection of runners, placemats and tote bags. When I buy now I usually have a project in mind.

dls 08-30-2010 07:07 AM

I used to buy lots of fabrics to build a stash. A couple of years ago I decided to do something with the bulk of it before I bought more. Even to make a scrappy quilt the fabrics have to go together in an eye appealing way so I decided to do smaller projects. I now have quite a large collection of runners, placemats and tote bags. When I buy now I usually have a project in mind.

vivientan 08-30-2010 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
I'm am also a member of this "club". I don't have a large amount of fabric in my stash but I do buy more than I'll prob ever use in my lifetime. I dread the day my DIL has to come in and get rid of things--I can just see her rolling her eyes!!

One problem I have is: I bought some fabric that I think is just too pretty to cut!! I had a vague idea of a project when I bought it, but now I just keep looking at it and petting it and don't want to cut it. Do any of you have this problem??

Me! I guess I enjoy admiring my beautiful fabrics more than the thought of cutting and using them! Such a heartache...

I really love those Japanese fabrics from Lecien Fabrics and they are so pretty, the last thing I wanna do is to cut them up! :P

vivientan 08-30-2010 06:44 PM

I'm only into my 3rd year of quilting. My stash started when I bought a whole lot of FQs from a quilter who's having a clearance sale in ebay. Since then, have bought yardages and pre-cuts to add to my collection. Thereafter, I realise that I do not have much use for those FQs unless I start on scrap quilt projects. I'm even thinking if I should sell some of them away in bulk.

retired2pa 08-30-2010 06:59 PM

Last month I was on a fabric buying streak (good thing I pay the bills...LOL). I actually had 6 quilt projects to finish before Nov. so I needed some fabric....but most of it I just "wanted"! I acquired several charm packs, a couple jelly rolls, a honey bun, a dessert roll, and a couple turnovers! I must have been hungry when I went shopping...LOL

vivientan 08-30-2010 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by retired2pa
Last month I was on a fabric buying streak (good thing I pay the bills...LOL). I actually had 6 quilt projects to finish before Nov. so I needed some fabric....but most of it I just "wanted"! I acquired several charm packs, a couple jelly rolls, a honey bun, a dessert roll, and a couple turnovers! I must have been hungry when I went shopping...LOL

Haha your statement is hilarious! Yup I've got a huge appetite for all those pre-cuts too. They are too yummy to resist! :p

magpiefeather 08-30-2010 08:49 PM

I LOVE this subject! I started out buying just what I needed for a project (1981) For my daughters baby quilt. Now I like bolts, 6 yard pieces, 2 yard pieces, FQ's, 4 , 5, or 6 inch charms. I buy fabric in themes (roses, polka dots, cats, roosters n chickens, chicks, big floral, Native American, pansies, marbles, stars, stripes...). I have fabric in storage too and in my sewing room and in the back room. I LOVE fabric, the colors, the feel of it the bright ones and the muted...love it all.
The prices have gotten out of hand though. way out of hand. I find great deals on ebay or etsy at times. Rarely buy new anymore.

GrannieAnnie 08-30-2010 09:05 PM

I've inherited fabrics from two of my hubby's aunts, from a friend's mom, and from a friend. Many different types. THEN I get a wild hair and go buy fabric.@@

I've got so many different types of projects started. Last summer, a few friends helped me make about 40 blankets for kids-----------some donated here, some there, all out of the inherited fabrics.

Now I'm piecing some single block tops--much out of some of the donated fabrics.

GrannieAnnie 08-30-2010 09:07 PM

About buying fabric-------------if the Wally World near you remodels, take a couple hundred dollars to the 50% off sale. I forgot about all that stuff I bought last spring.

janedee 08-30-2010 09:16 PM

I used to buy fabric for no other reason than I loved it - hence lots of FQ etc. so now only buy for a specific project and in between am using up my stash but I do slip up like yesterday when I went to a small quilt exhibition and one of the traders had this lovely piece just calling and calling me - did hesitate for a minute but has now found a new home - what will I do with it? am sure it will find its place sometime lol