Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-fabrics-t62116.html)

grannypat7925 08-31-2010 06:48 AM

I do that too. If it is pretty and good quality and I like it, I end up buying some of it. I have so much stash I should never buy any more fabric in my lifetime. I am trying to stay out of fabric stores at the moment but don't know how long that will last lol!

My Cat's Belle 08-31-2010 07:07 AM

You are not alone. I LOVE fabric, especially florals and batiks. Do you know how many fabrics that includes! I have started buying at least 2-3 coordinating pieces at a time. That has helped when I am looking for fabric to match with a quilt pattern. My other problem is that I sometimes don't want to cut that beautiful piece up even for a quilt, so I have to go buy more!

Susan

Bev 08-31-2010 07:14 AM

[quote/]Just wondering if you ladies buy fabrics only when needed for projects, or you also collect fabrics just like me. Pls tell me that I'm not the only one who's doing this! :P

I have been trying very hard to stop myself from browsing fabric websites, so as to stop this impulse buying.[/quote]

Welcome to the club!! Most of us are in the same boat. We need to form a "Quilter's Anonymous" group. It's an addiction, and I'm not just kidding.

8-)

mar32428 08-31-2010 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I bought what I liked when I had money to spend. Now I try to buy only if I need it and have a plan for it. Sometimes I still falter, but I try because I just can't afford it.

Same here. I did that till I had a better idea of what quilting was all about. Now I have a very nice stash and only buy fabric to fill in a particular color. VERY limited income.

cowgirl 08-31-2010 07:52 AM

I buy fabrics I like even if I have nothing in mind until the money runs out. (I have 72 cents in my fabric fund right now.) Guess I will be going to the stash for a while!

klgreene 08-31-2010 08:32 AM

I buy fabric all the time without knowing what I'm going to do with it. Sometimes I have to buy just a little more fabric to make a certain quilt, or I have to much for a quilt I'm making, but it will get used one day. I bought some basic beige with a light white print on it years (12) ago. Really pretty background fabric. I think I bought 3 yds at the time, and I now have just inches left. When I pulled it from my stash, I had no idea what I was going to do with it. Then one project needed a little and another a little and so on.....and just to build my stash, I now buy full yds. even if the pattern calls for 1/4 or 1/2. I'm doing a fine job of building my stash and running out of room.

Janebird 08-31-2010 08:43 AM

Here's my husband's logic for a good stash - you're an artist and you need to maintain a supply of raw materials - so glad I married a creative guy.

pieces 08-31-2010 09:21 AM

I only buy when I am shopping for a specific quilt.
If I see a fabric I really like and know it will work in a scrappy quilt I will buy 1/2 yard or 1 yard.
The only time I really stock up is when my LQS has the tone on tones on sale in January.

sewmuchmore 08-31-2010 09:28 AM

I don't think I am a fabric fabricaholic :roll: I went into hobby lobby and come out with only 2 yds. The same thing happy last week I only came out with 2 Yds. :lol: :lol:

np3 08-31-2010 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
You mean we are suppose to have a project in mind BEFORE buying the fabric :shock: No wonder I have so much fabric , been doing it backwards all these years ....LOL

Me too!