Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying a new sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-new-sewing-machine-t222970.html)

djmormon 06-04-2013 08:47 AM

Buying a new sewing machine

I would like some help buying a new sewing machine. I will have a budget of a $1000.
I do like computer type and lots of stitches.
I am open to all brands and tips.

Thanks

MartiMorga 06-04-2013 08:54 AM

I have 3 Baby Locks and a Singer. My Singer is old, from the 80s, my Baby Locks are newer, a serger and 2 embroidery machines. I love them all!

quiltmama515 06-04-2013 09:22 AM

I have had a singer sewing machine ( that would sew backwards, when I wanted it to go forwards), sent it back to the shop where i bought it and went and bought a Janome machine. I was just getting started with the quilting bug and that Janome was wonderful. I traded up a few years later to a Janome 6600P and then, just recently I received a Janome 8900 for my birthday. Loved that Janome 6600P, but I am really enjoying the 8900! It is a wonderful machine and great for quilting. I quilted everything from lapsize to King Size on the 6600P and it did a wonderful job! looking forward to quilting on the 8900 real soon. :)

tlambing 06-04-2013 09:27 AM

I bought a 1500.00 Babylock about a yr and a half ago. The Serenade. I enjoy many things about it, but it does have a few bugs and a less than perfect straight stitch and a very generous 1/4 inch. Since then, I have purchased a portable Janome to take to classes etc. I think I paid 375.00 for it and am in LOVE with it! The straight stitch is perfect, the feed dogs are strong and the 1/4 inch perfect! All in all, I would buy a Janome over just about anything else out there. I have many friends that also have Janomes and love them too. Good luck on your hunt!

filewizard25 06-04-2013 09:52 AM

My Daughter just got a Baby Lock (Molly) which is way under your price range, but I really like it. I also have an older Kenmore machine that I also LOVE... but I don't think they make them anymore. I have heard to stay away from Singer as they are nothing like they used to be. (I'm jealous of your sewing machine budget) Happy shopping!

sarahspins 06-04-2013 11:39 AM

I think certain Singers can be fine.. I have a Quantum L-500 and it's been great for me, but if you read reviews online they are quite mixed... but it is literally the same machine as the Pfaff Smarter C1100 Pro.

That said if I were shopping right now with a budget of $1000 I'd look strongly at the Pfaff Ambition machines - they have a large harp space and Pfaff's built in IDT :)

gale 06-04-2013 11:59 AM

I love my Janome machines. I don't think you can go wrong with a Janome. I think Kenmore and Elna are from the same company.

Girlfriend 06-04-2013 12:17 PM

Baby Lock and Brother. Quality for an affordable price. Lots of accessories, stitches, and dependability. I've had them all, and love my Brother the most. Mostly because of ease of use. You get the most for your money.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

trennag 06-04-2013 01:44 PM

I love my Walmart brother sq9000 that I paid $200 for. I am looking at getting Another machine (for embroidery) and I am leaning towards another brother.

Jingle 06-04-2013 01:47 PM

No opinions. I use two straight stitch only machines. I don't need any other stitches.