Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying a new sewing machine

Blog Entries

Red face Buying a new sewing machine

I would like some help buying a new sewing machine. I will have a budget of a $1000.
    I do like computer type and lots of stitches.
    I am open to all brands and tips.

Thanks

I have 3 Baby Locks and a Singer. My Singer is old, from the 80s, my Baby Locks are newer, a serger and 2 embroidery machines. I love them all!
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

I have had a singer sewing machine ( that would sew backwards, when I wanted it to go forwards), sent it back to the shop where i bought it and went and bought a Janome machine. I was just getting started with the quilting bug and that Janome was wonderful. I traded up a few years later to a Janome 6600P and then, just recently I received a Janome 8900 for my birthday. Loved that Janome 6600P, but I am really enjoying the 8900! It is a wonderful machine and great for quilting. I quilted everything from lapsize to King Size on the 6600P and it did a wonderful job! looking forward to quilting on the 8900 real soon.
    Brenda in Indiana

I bought a 1500.00 Babylock about a yr and a half ago. The Serenade. I enjoy many things about it, but it does have a few bugs and a less than perfect straight stitch and a very generous 1/4 inch. Since then, I have purchased a portable Janome to take to classes etc. I think I paid 375.00 for it and am in LOVE with it! The straight stitch is perfect, the feed dogs are strong and the 1/4 inch perfect! All in all, I would buy a Janome over just about anything else out there. I have many friends that also have Janomes and love them too. Good luck on your hunt!

My Daughter just got a Baby Lock (Molly) which is way under your price range, but I really like it. I also have an older Kenmore machine that I also LOVE... but I don't think they make them anymore. I have heard to stay away from Singer as they are nothing like they used to be. (I'm jealous of your sewing machine budget) Happy shopping!

I think certain Singers can be fine.. I have a Quantum L-500 and it's been great for me, but if you read reviews online they are quite mixed... but it is literally the same machine as the Pfaff Smarter C1100 Pro.

That said if I were shopping right now with a budget of $1000 I'd look strongly at the Pfaff Ambition machines - they have a large harp space and Pfaff's built in IDT

Blog Entries
    I love my Janome machines. I don't think you can go wrong with a Janome. I think Kenmore and Elna are from the same company.

Baby Lock and Brother. Quality for an affordable price. Lots of accessories, stitches, and dependability. I've had them all, and love my Brother the most. Mostly because of ease of use. You get the most for your money.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

I love my Walmart brother sq9000 that I paid $200 for. I am looking at getting Another machine (for embroidery) and I am leaning towards another brother.
    Brother SQ9000, Baby Lock Crescendo

Slowly but surely restoring these lovely machines...
    Singer 66 (1929) Singer 27 treadle (1909) Singer 99 (1925)

No opinions. I use two straight stitch only machines. I don't need any other stitches.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I vote for a Bernina. They have some models under $1000 or you could get a used one that was a trade in at a dealer.

Blog Entries
    I toss my vote for a Janome! I got a new 6500 for $900 and love it! BUT.... with that being said.... go to any place and take a test drive of different machines. They all "feel" and "sound" different. Think about what you really want in a new machine. for me... it was a auto thread cutter, needle up & down button, and a BIG throat area for space to roll up quilts when doing my own quilting. I almost bought a new Bernina then realize the one I could afford only had a 6 inch throat area. I bought my Janome online from http://www.american-sewing.com/ about 3 yrs ago and LOVE IT! He offered a 30 day full refund and even to pay for return shipping if I didn't like it. I just he knew I would love it!!!

Good Luck in finding the right one for you.
    Lisa B in NC
    Quilting is my Happy Thought!
    http://www.quiltingkrazy.blogspot.com

I have a Janome also, and I just love it! You should try and find a dealer and test drive one, I think you will love it!!

Well, I love my Pfaff - it has the built-in IDT (walking foot) for quilting (no separate walking-foot attachment required). I had a combo Brother sewing/embroidery machine (LB6800 - same as SE400) but it wouldn't quilt correctly - even with a walking foot (stitches irregular; had problems going thru multiple layers).

Pfaff has their Ambition line for under $1000 - and you may find an Expression on sale right around $1000. Lots of pretty stitches (and pretty machines!) and great, even stitches.
    Pfaff Ambition 1.0
    Pfaff Performance 5.0

Brother hands down because like someone said ease of use, quality, amount of accesories, excellent straight stitch. I have sewn on bernina, husky, singer, but have loved my brother the most, most high end babylocks are the same as brother as they are made by them but usuallly come with a higher price tag for the same machine so unless you find a deal where it is cheaper like my espire I would pick the brother over the babylock just for cost. what features are you looking for
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    I didn't know that about babylocks. I had one from a sewing machine shop that was considered high end and I hated that thing. Same with my babylock serger-total piece of junk. The sewing machine was given away. The serger, which doesn't work (as usual) is sitting in my sewing room, taking up space.

So that would make me avoid Brother as well. I have a Brother embroidery machine but only got it because of the price-I don't plan to embroider much and didn't want to spend too much.

My first choice would be Pfaff, second choice would be Brother.
    Best thing is to go to a sewing machine shop and try them out. See which one offers more options and best warranty. You can get really good deals on machines that have been barely used too.

I would look at the Janome 6600 or 6500. Although they are computerized the machines are heavy weight, very well made and customer service is fantastic. Another machine I would look at is a Juki. They have a great quilting machine without the bells and whistles that I have heard rave reviews about.

Pfaff, Babylock, and Brother are all made by the same company. Why pay more? Go with the Brother. I have 2 Brothers. Awesome.

Everyone has their favorites as you can see. My suggestions is to shop around, and find the machine you like and the dealer you like. Remember that dealer is the one you will have to talk to about anything that might go wrong, or to help you understand your machine.

Also while shopping, ask the sales person if they have any open box machines for sale or demo machines. You can save ALOT of money by getting one of these and they come with the same warranties as a new machine. You get more for your money this way.

As for my fav., I love Babylocks. I just sold my Quest and will be picking up my Serenade this week. I got the Quest as a demo machine. The Serenade I got as an open box, and saved bunches on it.

Which ever you chose make sure its a good fit for you. Enjoy your search. Make a list of the important things you want your machine to have on it. Take that list, and some sample fabric (the type you will be sewing on ) and have fun shopping. This is also where you will find out if you like the dealer. If they are friendly and take a lot of time with you, and have a good knowledge of the machines your asking about, this is a good thing. Most of all take your time and have fun!!
    Amythyst

No they are not. Pfaff is made by SVP (Singer Viking Pfaff) Brother makes Brother and Babylock in the same factory, but Babylock is made under standards set by Tacony, which are a bit higher than Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchinpick View Post
    Pfaff, Babylock, and Brother are all made by the same company. Why pay more? Go with the Brother. I have 2 Brothers. Awesome.

No they are not. Pfaff is made by SVP (Singer Viking Pfaff) Brother makes Brother and Babylock in the same factory, but Babylock is made under standards set by Tacony, which are a bit higher than Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchinpick View Post

The Janome 6300 is within your budget. I have the 6600 and the 6500 and the 6300 is a similar model with fewer stitches. I also love my 7700, but that was $2000.

Quote Originally Posted by djmormon View Post
    I would like some help buying a new sewing machine. I will have a budget of a $1000.
    I do like computer type and lots of stitches.
    I am open to all brands and tips.

Thanks
    I recently bought a BabyLock Elizabeth. Love it! Lots of stitches, many great features and it fits your budget!
    In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3:6

Depends on what you want on your machine.
    My favorite feature is when in needle down mode my machine lifts the foot just a little when I stop sewing.
    This is great for aplique and chain stitching as you can rotate the fabric.
    I have a Viking Sapphire and love this machine with its 10 in throat area.
    It has lots of stitches but I dont use them much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast