Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying a new sewing machine >

Buying a new sewing machine

Buying a new sewing machine

Old 06-06-2013, 12:13 PM

I have 2 Pfaffs a Select 3 and an Ambition 1.0. I love both of them the Ambition is computerized, has lots of stitches and a bigger opening and both have the IDT (love,love, love). The Ambition was $799 so within your budget. That said go to your local sewing shops and test drive to find the one with the features you will need and like.

Happy shopping.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:29 PM

I bought a Janome 6600P recently to replace my old Pfaff. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably go with the Pfaff for several reasons. The Pfaff has a built in walking foot and you don't need to keep changing the shaft to change feet. I thought the Janome's monogramming would be fine for me, but now find I wish it could do just a little more in that department. The biggest positive with the Janome for me was the great buttonholer! I do a lot of blouse sewing, etc, so really needed a machine that accommodated that. (the Pfaff buttonholer was a four-step process and never worked properly) But, guess you can't find everything in one machine, and all machines have positives and negatives. You just have to try them out until you're completely satisfied with one.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:33 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by icul8rg8r View Post
Well, I love my Pfaff - it has the built-in IDT (walking foot) for quilting (no separate walking-foot attachment required). I had a combo Brother sewing/embroidery machine (LB6800 - same as SE400) but it wouldn't quilt correctly - even with a walking foot (stitches irregular; had problems going thru multiple layers).

Pfaff has their Ambition line for under $1000 - and you may find an Expression on sale right around $1000. Lots of pretty stitches (and pretty machines!) and great, even stitches.

I was going to suggest a Pfaff also because of the IDT. I have a Bernina that is fine but I hate using the walking foot because it always seems to be in the way of my sight plus it seems to be a bit finagley to put on. The Pfaff just flips down easily and back up when you don't want it. I have a Pfaff 7550 that I bought used that has enough extra "fancy" stitches for me. The only thing it doesn't have that I would like is the knee lift. However, you would have to decide just what you want/need for your type of sewing. Maybe write down what you "must" have and what you would "like" to have and then check out all those machines online that people have suggested to see which one fits your list best.Kind of like buying a house but cheaper! Oh and maybe check out reviews of the top 3 to 5 that you like the most. Good luck. Shopping for a new or used machine can be ..... well ..... mind bending.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:41 PM

A LQS(Creekside Quilt Shop) in Clive Ia, has a Pfaff 3.0 Expression floor model on sale for $999.00, originally 19??.??.
rarely used. (has a large throat!!) If you don't mind paying shipping??
PM me if you want more info
Good Luck on your search!
Old 06-06-2013, 03:43 PM

I had some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket a few weeks ago, and went up to Bowling Green to a visit a sewing machine/quilting shop and walked in and showed one of the ladies my handful of money and said "what can you offer me in this price range that is light weight with lots of good features. She smiled and showed me every machine in the $250 to $300 range, then showed me a Janome Sewist that I fell in love with. I told her if she could take my husband out of the extra $50, I'd buy it even though I didn't need the quarter inch foot and quilting foot. She did, and I left with a great little machine that I do love. It sews great and makes wonderful buttonholes automatically.....
Old 06-06-2013, 03:57 PM

BTW_ I am not afilliated(sp) with Creekside quilt show, only as a patron who happened to be there early today who saw the sign in the door.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:58 PM

Should say "store", not "show"
Old 06-06-2013, 10:05 PM

Question Larger Bobbins

I have been looking & looking & looking at the Walmart Brother CS-6000i for $154.97, I'm just learning to quilt. My question is....is the bobbin bigger (holds more bobbin thread than) than my DSM? I like the extra features on the Brother CS but since I have 3 DSM I'm wondering if a bigger bobbin is really a plus also?
Old 06-07-2013, 04:13 AM

Buying a machine is like buying a car. Test drive it, does it "feel" right to YOU? Its all about function and ergonomics. There are lots of great brands and you just need to find the brand that fits your budget and needs.

Sandy (janome 4 me)