View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 03:33 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by icul8rg8r View Post
Well, I love my Pfaff - it has the built-in IDT (walking foot) for quilting (no separate walking-foot attachment required). I had a combo Brother sewing/embroidery machine (LB6800 - same as SE400) but it wouldn't quilt correctly - even with a walking foot (stitches irregular; had problems going thru multiple layers).

Pfaff has their Ambition line for under $1000 - and you may find an Expression on sale right around $1000. Lots of pretty stitches (and pretty machines!) and great, even stitches.

I was going to suggest a Pfaff also because of the IDT. I have a Bernina that is fine but I hate using the walking foot because it always seems to be in the way of my sight plus it seems to be a bit finagley to put on. The Pfaff just flips down easily and back up when you don't want it. I have a Pfaff 7550 that I bought used that has enough extra "fancy" stitches for me. The only thing it doesn't have that I would like is the knee lift. However, you would have to decide just what you want/need for your type of sewing. Maybe write down what you "must" have and what you would "like" to have and then check out all those machines online that people have suggested to see which one fits your list best.Kind of like buying a house but cheaper! Oh and maybe check out reviews of the top 3 to 5 that you like the most. Good luck. Shopping for a new or used machine can be ..... well ..... mind bending.