Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying a quilt.. are you cheating if you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-quilt-you-cheating-if-you-do-t27211.html)

diogirl 10-17-2009 07:36 AM

I was in Gatlinburg TN with my family on a trip this week and stopped at a quilt store and bought a quilt throw.. They were on sale for around $19-$25,,, so it feels weird that i did that when I make them. If you make quilts, do you avoid buying them? I enjoy quilts, whether I make them or buy them.

granny216 10-17-2009 07:48 AM

I have never purchased one as I love to quilt and have made way over 100 plus throws, baby ones, quillows, wall hangings and so on but if I ever did I would make it as a purchased piece so that the kids and friends that receive them know I didn't make it. Enjoy the one you purchased.

amma 10-17-2009 07:55 AM

A quilt is a quilt!!! If you find a premade one that you like, buy it, enjoy it, use it!!! :D :D :D

Ninnie 10-17-2009 08:02 AM

I think it's great that you bought a quilt!!
Enjoy it!!

RedGarnet222 10-17-2009 09:14 AM

I have never bought a quilt. I have sold some though.

But, if I saw one I loved, I would nab it up in a heart beat. Why not support our fellow quilters? I say, don't feel quilty, feel proud that you have helped out another quilter.

MadQuilter 10-17-2009 09:19 AM

DH bought me a BEAUTIFUL quilt (wallhanging) on one of his trips to Carolina. The fact that he went to the store, waded through a boat-load of quilts, and picked the perfect one makes it so much more special than anything I could have made.

quiltluvr 10-17-2009 09:35 AM

Just because we make them doesn't mean we do it for ourselves. Some quilts just speak to us with the fabric that was used---do you think we'd find it ourselves after seeing it and falling in love???

By all means, indulge yourself. Art is art, whether we do it or treasure another fellow quilter's work.

If I had the money and circumstances, there's some places I'd buy up all the quilts, have another house/huge space built just to showcase them for myself, tho' I *think* there would be others that would enjoy seeing it all too. That's part of my dream.

Moonpi 10-17-2009 09:43 AM

I've bought all kinds of antique quilts over the years. I can't leave them if the price is right and they are in good shape or repairable.

pookie ookie 10-17-2009 09:44 AM

I would love to buy some antiques and one or two new ones by current quilters.

I have bought one in the past that fit neither category. It's a masculine flannel patchy quilt. Probably made by some political prisoner in a far distant land. Less than $20. I knew my dying cat would enjoy it and she did.

BellaBoo 10-17-2009 10:46 AM

Cheating on yourself? :D I have several bought quilts and when someone asked if I made them myself I say, Yes I MADE out the check for it. :lol: :lol: :lol: