Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can anyone explain what a Quilt Run is to me? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-anyone-explain-what-quilt-run-me-t222433.html)

icul8rg8r 05-28-2013 10:25 PM

Thanks for posting this question because I, too, was wondering what it is and why folks do it! (It's called Shop Hop, here).

scrapngmom 05-29-2013 08:22 AM

Thanks for the info. Sounds like fun. I don't have any quiilting buddies (except you on the board) but maybe I will try and check out a few of the shops on my own.

jcrow 05-29-2013 09:01 AM

I found my favorite quilt shop by going on a 'shop hop'. I also found out about four different quilt shops that I now go to. They are about two hours away from me in different directions, but every so often I make a day of it and visit one. I'm able to buy fabric I can't get close to me and get some great ideas for quilts. I found my new sewing machine during the 'shop hop' at one of the stores!! You get to meet some fantastic people at the hops, also. It's just a lot of fun to do it. I don't go to all the shops usually. I hit the ones within two hours of me only. They have shops three and a half hours away and I just won't drive that far.

quilt addict 05-29-2013 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by scrapngmom (Post 6092059)
Thanks for the info. Sounds like fun. I don't have any quiilting buddies (except you on the board) but maybe I will try and check out a few of the shops on my own.

There are lots of us on the board from your area. I am in San Diego but I was just in Fallbrook on Sunday trying to find a quilt shop I had visited on a previous run. But either it has closed or my memory didn't take me in the right direction. I am contemplating doing the Southern California Quilters Run next month, just Area 4. This run each store is giving away a Moda FQ. I know that doesn't make up for the gas, but it is something. I have never won a prize but there is always hope. I would love to win the grand prize, a quilting retreat.

Is this the one you are going on? www.quiltersrun.com

JanTx 05-29-2013 12:33 PM

There's excitement in the air on a hop/run! I love to do them. As someone else mention I also use the idea of a theme when I go. Sometimes I'm determined to look for manly fabrics. I'm always on the lookout for red/white/black fat quarters and have picked up many on hops. Around here every shop has a "promotional area" - that's a sale shelf to the rest of us. Or maybe the wide backing fabric is usually $17/yd at my shop, but $11 at another. You never know! I do try to have a mission - not to pick up random things, but to know what I need to finish various projects I already have on hand.

Note: Our shops do not run sales for the hop. I'm looking at what they usually carry for less than my local store or for things that have made their way to the cheaper side of the store. I have even been known to walk out with ... no purchase! It can happen! :)

A friend and I go together - sometimes with our husbands. We make a little vacation of it - even if it's a tiny hop.

ManiacQuilter2 05-29-2013 12:36 PM

I am from Southern CA so I have been on this run when it first started. The atmosphere is different, much more friendly and a bit crazy in the fabric shops. Most shops will provide you with food and water. Some may have a free pattern or quilting games with prizes. You will receive a passport at the first store and they want you to get it stamped at each store to qualify for the big prizes. It is enjoyable to see what they have that is different from my local quilt store especially with the variety of quilt samples. Only go to my favorite shops. I always find it quite educational. Stores have later hours that they are opened. I am hoping that the Queen of Fat Quarters will be opening up her location which is NOT a store. WOW, lots of fat quarters on sale !!

nygal 05-29-2013 01:02 PM

They do sound like a lot of fun but of course they hope you spend money at each and every shop!

scrapngmom 05-29-2013 01:04 PM

Lisa--yes that is the one. I work in Orange County, but live in Fallbrook. So I think I will be able to stop at a few in the Tustin/Santa Ana area and hit a few in the San Diego County. The quilt shop in Fallbrook is not open on Sundays. It has also moved and is on the street behind the main drag. If you come back to Fallbrook, it is behind the Wells Fargo Bank on Mission.

Joellyn: What or who is the Queen of Fat Quarters?

Because I work 80 miles from where I live, I really haven't had a chance to make any friends other than the few parents I know through my kids sports activities. So basically, this board--all of you--are my quilting friends and my best friends. So, I will be thinking of you all as I try and visit the stores on the Quilters Run. I never really learned how to sew growing up--I left it to my mom and sister. Now that I am older I regret that. But, thanks to the wonderful ladies on this board, whenever I have a question about sewing anything--you all give me great advise. In fact, you all taught me how to quilt.

athenascooter 05-30-2013 03:29 AM

We have many shop hops. Some are in just one area run by local shops and once a year a statewide hop. There are prizes if you visit all the hops in an area to try to win and the statewide has a grand prize which is usually a trip. I live in MN and last year Wisconsin had their first. A group of us drove in the hop closest to our area and found many shops we liked. WI hop is starting the month of June and we plan to go again. This year WI has some bus trips set up for the hop which cuts the cost down. I think you would enjoy.

thequilteddove 05-30-2013 03:41 AM

Quilt runs/shop hops are an excuse for a quilting friends to take a road trip together!