Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can anyone explain what a Quilt Run is to me? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-anyone-explain-what-quilt-run-me-t222433.html)

scrapngmom 05-28-2013 09:22 AM

Can anyone explain what a Quilt Run is to me?

I just picked up a flyer for a quilt run for our area. I understand that you go to different quilt shops in a geographical area--but what is the reason or incentive to me for traveling to the shops 50 miles away?

MamaDonna 05-28-2013 09:34 AM

scrapngmom I agree with you... I live 40 miles from a major city and don't feel like traveling anymore than I have too. The price of gas would take away from my fabric budget... I just travel within the city that I go too and keep it at that.. Would love to be able to do a "run" but the sign on the gas station is tell me not to..

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 05-28-2013 09:41 AM

A quilt run is another name for a shop hop. You go to as many shops as possible because the more stops you make the more chances you have to win prizes.

janRN 05-28-2013 09:45 AM

Scrapnmom, they are a lot of fun (and yes, gas is expensive). We try to go in groups of at least 4 and share the cost of gas. There are a lot of freebies and special sale items and of course cookies or treats at each shop. I've gone to shops that otherwise I wouldn't have known about. Some I'll not return to but at least 2 have become favorites. It's just a nice day out with some quilting friends.

Gramie bj 05-28-2013 09:52 AM

Is this the same as a Shop Hop? If it is you would have a lot of fun just visiting new shops. We have a shop hop every year in our area The closest shop to me is about 15 miles the farthest is about 180 miles. At each stop you get your passport (piece of paper you pick up at your first stop) stamped by the shop an receive a pattern piece for part of a quilt, at the end of the hop you have a full pattern for a new quilt, and turn in your passport for a drawing. Every year grand prize is a new sewing machine other prizes are baskets from all the shops you visited. I always find new fabric I have never seen before, some shops offer mini classes or a special just for the shop hoppers. Our shop hop last 10 days so have plenty of time to make the trips. We always take a lunch, stop at a park, and just enjoy the day. Great way to spend non sewing time with your quilter friends. Hope you enjoy yourself!

QuiltE 05-28-2013 10:05 AM

ditto to all the above!

I make it into a holiday, whether it be for just one day or several. I check out the shops, looking for inspiration that I do not get from the more local LQS'.

Something that I do is to decide on a "mission" before I go on a Shop Hop. One time it was to get all the fabrics I needed for a project I wanted to do. Another I called it the 4-Bs, and paid special heed to backings, battings, borders and bindings. This year, it will be to "really" look at DSM quilting styles, or how I can adapt LAQ to DSM FMQ.

By doing this I have found I have learned a LOT more and felt productive with the Hops. Before that, I would get too caught up in snatch and grab mode! (not that, that can't be good!)

charity-crafter 05-28-2013 10:16 AM

It's fun to pick up the different free patterns available, enter drawings for free stuff ect. But I agree, with the gas the price it is, I won't go to the ones more then 20 miles by myself, and maybe 50 miles if I go with a friend and split the gas. For me, it's more fun to go with a group. It's not really that great on my own.

petthefabric 05-28-2013 12:07 PM

I've gone on a couple. In California there are many: So Cal, central coast, south bay, north bay, central valley, gold country, I think there's one for north coast. I pick an area I'd like to visit, like central coast, and take the 3 days enjoying friends, quilting and the local. I'd like to do the bay area hops, but hotels are very expensive.

Nammie to 7 05-28-2013 12:09 PM

A friend and I go on the annual shop hop - we go North one day and South another day - usually one day each weekend. Each shop carries different fabric and displays things in a unique way. It is always fun to get inspired by what we see. Also gives us an excuse to go out for lunch. We never run out of things to talk about.

Jim's Gem 05-28-2013 09:32 PM

Lots of fun!! I am going on one Friday and Saturday. We will hit 11 - 14 shops in those two days. This year we have 7 - 9 people that say they are going. We have an absolute blast!!!

The one This weekend is the Central Coast Quilt Shop Tour!