Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can anyone HELP with this pattern please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-anyone-help-pattern-please-t256722.html)

newjeepgreen 11-13-2014 02:16 AM

Can anyone HELP with this pattern please

Years ago at a class I did a quilt which comprised of squares laid on top of each other and then cut in about 5 or 6 different directions. When the first cut was made through all fabrics the top fabric from just one section was put to the bottom of the pile and (I can't remember if the bottom one was brought to the top) then the second cut was made and removed to the bottom. Whenever the squares were all cut it meant that you didn't have any of the same fabrics repeated in the squares. This is hard to explain and I hope someone will know what I mean. The teacher who did this pattern has moved to another country so I cannot get in touch with her. Something tells me the name was Magic something but I cannot find it anywhere. Thank you in anticipation.

katier825 11-13-2014 02:28 AM

There is a 5-point star pattern like that I saw in the last month or so somewhere. Not very helpful :(, but maybe this will jog someone's memory.

yadroc 11-13-2014 02:41 AM

I think you are talking about Magic Tile. I believe the designer was from Canada. The one I did also had a very thin sashing (grout) sewn in each seam. Does this sound familiar?

yadroc 11-13-2014 02:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the image on the front of my pattern.

DOTTYMO 11-13-2014 03:01 AM

.ihave made one give me time and it will come back.it was. The first quilt imade. It's moving the pieces that I can't remember fully I had no name for the quilt I have seen similiar in a book will be back later

Cut all the pieces from the pattern.
Look at all the 16 fabrics neatly stacked.leave one shape as is.Take another shape and take top fabric to the bottom.
Take a third shape and take two pieces to the bottom.
Take a fourth shape and take three pieces to the bottom
Take fifth shape and take four pieces to the bottom.
Take sixth shape and take five pieces to bottom.
Keep going until you are back to one not altered.

Hope this makes sense to you.
I was taught to chain piece these together in pairs etc.

I have made two one without the strip between each shape and with. Remember you must square up finally.i found a big difference in size with the black strip.

Mary O 11-13-2014 03:15 AM

Most of the Buggy Barn patterns use that technique.......Might want to check out U-Tube.

JustAbitCrazy 11-13-2014 03:32 AM

Buggy barn patterns are what came to mind for me, too. They're great.

tapper 11-13-2014 03:45 AM

I THINK the Magic Tile pattern is a Kathleen Bissett design.

grammy17 11-13-2014 04:11 AM

Magic Tile Quilt

Thank you for the directions. I have had this one on my back burner for some time and forgotten the directions. Shaeing this because it may help me be able to find int again.

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 6966719)
.ihave made one give me time and it will come back.it was. The first quilt imade. It's moving the pieces that I can't remember fully I had no name for the quilt I have seen similiar in a book will be back later

Cut all the pieces from the pattern.
Look at all the 16 fabrics neatly stacked.leave one shape as is.Take another shape and take top fabric to the bottom.
Take a third shape and take two pieces to the bottom.
Take a fourth shape and take three pieces to the bottom
Take fifth shape and take four pieces to the bottom.
Take sixth shape and take five pieces to bottom.
Keep going until you are back to one not altered.

Hope this makes sense to you.
I was taught to chain piece these together in pairs etc.

I have made two one without the strip between each shape and with. Remember you must square up finally.i found a big difference in size with the black strip.

sandy l 11-13-2014 04:32 AM

You might also check out any of the books by Karla Alexander. She uses this method of "cut and shuffle" and explains it very well.