Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can I have a lesson on quilt as you go, no hand sewing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-i-have-lesson-quilt-you-go-no-hand-sewing-t25014.html)

Up North 09-10-2009 06:50 AM

I did use spray basting to hold the 3 parts together. Maybe that would help? can you post pics of yours so we can better help?

gramysews 09-10-2009 09:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Jay Way,This a picture of one I have finished and a close up of the seams.Hope this helps.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 09-10-2009 11:22 AM

The Bayside quilts video looks so easy I keep thinking I will try this, but all this talk of rebelous batting and flappy things is getting me nervous!

gramysews 09-10-2009 01:01 PM

Don't be afraid to try it.It really is easy once you get the hang of it .Think of it as a sanwhich with the bottom square 2 inches bigger than the top,the batting same size as the top.( The top of my block is 10 " so my backing was cut 12") Lay your 10 inch square of BATTING on top of your 12 inch square of BACKING lay your strips of fabic or whatever pattern you want to make on your batting and sew thru all three layers(I used strips in mine so will give directions for strips) .Lay first strip with right side down. After you have sewed one side of strip using 1/4 " seam flip it to the other side,press ,then add second strip right sides together and sew again,continue untill you have the batting covered.Trim any batting Or fabric sticking out around the edges (takes care of the flappys) .
After you have first block to this stage,make another block the same way.When you have two blocks done join them by sewing only the BACKING part right sides together using a 1 inch seam.Press this seam open then fold in two on each side then sew one side to each block,sewing as close to edge as you can.You now have 2 blocks together and you just continue in same way for the whole quilt.
Is this clear as mud! Hope it helps a little anyway.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 09-10-2009 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by gramysews
Don't be afraid to try it.It really is easy once you get the hang of it .Think of it as a sanwhich with the bottom square 2 inches bigger than the top,the batting same size as the top.( The top of my block is 10 " so my backing was cut 12") Lay your 10 inch square of BATTING on top of your 12 inch square of BACKING lay your strips of fabic or whatever pattern you want to make on your batting and sew thru all three layers(I used strips in mine so will give directions for strips) .Lay first strip with right side down. After you have sewed one side of strip using 1/4 " seam flip it to the other side,press ,then add second strip right sides together and sew again,continue untill you have the batting covered.Trim any batting Or fabric sticking out around the edges (takes care of the flappys)

Would the same process work on blocks not pieced that way? Standard pieced blocks but quilting in that fashion?

gramysews 09-10-2009 07:41 PM

Yes. As long as you cut your backing piece 2 inches bigger than your top and batting piece it will work. If you use an already pieced block for the top then you will need to quilt your layers together just like you would on a full size quilt ,then fold and sew the backing to make the sashing or binding. Someone else suggested using basting spray to hold layers in place while quilting.I think that would work great .

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 09-10-2009 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by gramysews
Yes. As long as you cut your backing piece 2 inches bigger than your top and batting piece it will work. If you use an already pieced block for the top then you will need to quilt your layers together just like you would on a full size quilt ,then fold and sew the backing to make the sashing or binding. Someone else suggested using basting spray to hold layers in place while quilting.I think that would work great .

I'm thinking about trying that on my fall block swap blocks. The video looks so easy.

nursie76 09-11-2009 05:07 AM

Just stumbled across this posting and am intrigued by this method. I watched the Bayside video demonstration and this looks relatively easy. My only concern is that the batting isn't actually sewn together. The only thing holding the quilt together is the seam joining the pieces of the backing. Any of you who made this quilt (and they are really beautiful)...does this quilt hold up to normal use, or do the row seams eventually start to need repair? Any input you could provide would be appreciated.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 09-11-2009 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by nursie76
Just stumbled across this posting and am intrigued by this method. I watched the Bayside video demonstration and this looks relatively easy. My only concern is that the batting isn't actually sewn together. The only thing holding the quilt together is the seam joining the pieces of the backing. Any of you who made this quilt (and they are really beautiful)...does this quilt hold up to normal use, or do the row seams eventually start to need repair? Any input you could provide would be appreciated.

OH! I had not thought of that! Smart lady. I'm interested in seeing what the experts say on this one.

gramysews 09-11-2009 09:23 AM

I'm far from being an expert but I have made three of these so far .Two were given away and the one I have kept has only been washed once and doesn't get very much use so I can't really say how well they will hold up.I thought about going over all the "hold together seams" with a small zigzag stitch but didn't do it.Guess only time will tell. :oops: