Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can I have a lesson on quilt as you go, no hand sewing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-i-have-lesson-quilt-you-go-no-hand-sewing-t25014.html)

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 09-11-2009 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by gramysews
I'm far from being an expert but I have made three of these so far .Two were given away and the one I have kept has only been washed once and doesn't get very much use so I can't really say how well they will hold up.I thought about going over all the "hold together seams" with a small zigzag stitch but didn't do it.Guess only time will tell. :oops:

Well, I hate housework anyway. Maybe I can use that as an excuse not to wash the quilt. :D

marks1009 09-11-2009 03:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Jayway!

I'm new to the quilting world too! I was pretty sure I would be able to finish piecing a quilt top, but was positive I'd never get around to actually quilting it, so I drew this design, and am now in the process of creating it. I'm piecing the sections by just pinning and machine sewing, then I press everything to make sure it's square(ish). I then apply black bias tape (I made this myself), and quilt through top, batting and backing by machine sewing the edges of the black tape. I have finished one of the nine 2ft x 2ft sections, and will put them together with 4in wide black sashing, like the sections in a stained glass window.

You could probably adapt this method to the Chinese Coins pattern (which was my inspiration), and machine quilt smaller sections then put them together with sashing.

Lower right section (#9) of Mtn Scene quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41913[/ATTACH]

Drawing for Mtn Scene quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]42566[/ATTACH]

marks1009 09-11-2009 04:07 PM

Also -- just to cover all the options here -- make sure you PIN PIN PIN PIN PIN everywhere that the machine won't hit! You can see the edges of my block are still pinned with safety pins -- I've removed the ZILLION pins I had in the green pieces to keep all the layers together. Another quilter I know said she uses her office stapler when she can't get pins in close enough, but I'm too attached to my pretty fabrics to risk that!

There are videos on YouTube that show how to layer it all up -- but you basically stretch your backing out on the floor (or large table, if it fits), tape it down tight, smooth out the batting (some people apply the batting with spray adhesive to keep it in place), and top with the pieced top. Then PIN PIN PIN PIN PIN!!! :D

If you're sewing in straight lines, there is a special presser foot for the machine called a 'walking foot', that counteracts the action of the feed dogs on the bottom, so all the layers move together. This reduces the risk of the bottom layer going faster, and the top getting out of synch.

I'm loving the tips for joining the sashing 'back to front' as it were! May use that technique for the borders of this monster, which will be little strips of 'piano keys' ... I'm thinking I can stitch in the ditch to quilt the borders, then use the sash technique you've described to attach the borders to the main panel

Hope this helps -- you can tell I've been doing a LOT of reading on this lately! :wink:

sharon b 09-11-2009 09:34 PM

I have been wanting to try this method so i will keep watching to see how you are doing . And Welcome to the board :lol: