Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can I make a D9P with a focus fabric that is directional? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-i-make-d9p-focus-fabric-directional-t152239.html)

Dina 09-11-2011 05:25 PM

That is my question. Is there a way to make a D9P with fabric that is only "good" one way? I have been trying to wrap my brain around this. If I put my focus fabric in the four outer squares, all in the correct direction, will half be upside down in my finished block?

If I put the top outer two squares upside down, would that make them "right side up" in the block?

Does this make any sense? Maybe I just have to sew up a block or two to figure this out, but anyone who has figured this out, please let me know.

Thanks!!

Glassquilt 09-11-2011 05:27 PM

Make a test block. If you're short on fabric try it with paper.

joy 09-11-2011 05:28 PM

I agree with glassquilt...

VickyS 09-11-2011 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It works. I did one with directional fabric. I found I had to change about every other one.

There is a cute heart block that is turned into a D9P that shows how to handle directional fabric.

....I found a Fons and Porter pattern called Flag & Hearts with D9P. It doesn't show clearly but....

In your 9 patch, patches 3 and 7 should be upside down. Here's an example of a directional D9P I just finished.

D9P with directional fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255241[/ATTACH]

Dina 09-11-2011 05:34 PM

Okay, so it is do-able. I did a search and found a thread that had suggestions, but they confuse me. I guess I need to try it on paper. At least that might let me wrap my brain around it.

Thanks.

QuiltE 09-11-2011 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dina
Okay, so it is do-able. I did a search and found a thread that had suggestions, but they confuse me. I guess I need to try it on paper. At least that might let me wrap my brain around it.

Thanks.

You can make it all with the pieces right side up. Just be sure when you do your slice and dice that you don't twist the pieces. Just switch the top left with the bottom right, sew it up and you've got your D9P block. Then onwards to the next.

Just watch you don't inadvertently shift one of the blocks at some point!

Dina 09-11-2011 05:42 PM

Okay, I think I have got it. Thanks for the paper idea. My first attempt didn't work, but the second did. Since it was on paper, no wasted sewing!

Off to cut fabric now. Thanks again.

AFQSinc 09-11-2011 05:44 PM

I don't know if this will help you or not but I've made color copies of my fabric and then used that to make a paper maquette. Then you can really see what happens with the actual fabric.

Dina 09-11-2011 05:48 PM

VickyS....yes, what you said matches my paper pieces. I am on the right track. And AFQSinc, making color copies of my fabric....what a good idea!!

Thanks again.

sandraa 09-11-2011 06:08 PM

Thank you so much for . Last one I did, i couldn't get the design I wanted in order to keep the focus fabic right, but it came out alright. I will use your directions next time. Thanks again...