Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Can I make a D9P with a focus fabric that is directional?

  1. #1
    Super Member Dina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,060
    That is my question. Is there a way to make a D9P with fabric that is only "good" one way? I have been trying to wrap my brain around this. If I put my focus fabric in the four outer squares, all in the correct direction, will half be upside down in my finished block?

    If I put the top outer two squares upside down, would that make them "right side up" in the block?

    Does this make any sense? Maybe I just have to sew up a block or two to figure this out, but anyone who has figured this out, please let me know.

    Thanks!!

  2. #2
    Super Member Glassquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northeast IL
    Posts
    2,064
    Blog Entries
    1
    Make a test block. If you're short on fabric try it with paper.

  3. #3
    joy
    joy is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    772
    I agree with glassquilt...

  4. #4
    Senior Member VickyS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    in hiding
    Posts
    548
    It works. I did one with directional fabric. I found I had to change about every other one.

    There is a cute heart block that is turned into a D9P that shows how to handle directional fabric.

    ....I found a Fons and Porter pattern called Flag & Hearts with D9P. It doesn't show clearly but....

    In your 9 patch, patches 3 and 7 should be upside down. Here's an example of a directional D9P I just finished.

    D9P with directional fabric
    Name:  Attachment-255235.jpe
Views: 194
Size:  91.2 KB

  5. #5
    Super Member Dina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,060
    Okay, so it is do-able. I did a search and found a thread that had suggestions, but they confuse me. I guess I need to try it on paper. At least that might let me wrap my brain around it.

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Dina
    Okay, so it is do-able. I did a search and found a thread that had suggestions, but they confuse me. I guess I need to try it on paper. At least that might let me wrap my brain around it.

    Thanks.
    You can make it all with the pieces right side up. Just be sure when you do your slice and dice that you don't twist the pieces. Just switch the top left with the bottom right, sew it up and you've got your D9P block. Then onwards to the next.

    Just watch you don't inadvertently shift one of the blocks at some point!

  7. #7
    Super Member Dina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,060
    Okay, I think I have got it. Thanks for the paper idea. My first attempt didn't work, but the second did. Since it was on paper, no wasted sewing!

    Off to cut fabric now. Thanks again.

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    1,070
    I don't know if this will help you or not but I've made color copies of my fabric and then used that to make a paper maquette. Then you can really see what happens with the actual fabric.

  9. #9
    Super Member Dina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,060
    VickyS....yes, what you said matches my paper pieces. I am on the right track. And AFQSinc, making color copies of my fabric....what a good idea!!

    Thanks again.

  10. #10
    Senior Member sandraa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Abilene, TX
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thank you so much for . Last one I did, i couldn't get the design I wanted in order to keep the focus fabic right, but it came out alright. I will use your directions next time. Thanks again...

  11. #11
    Super Member heather1949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia.
    Posts
    9,071
    That looks great thanks for showing what it looks like.

  12. #12
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    7,160
    Blog Entries
    3
    Yes! This tutorial should help you.

    http://blocksnswaps.blogspot.com/200...g-9-patch.html

  13. #13
    Super Member Dina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,060
    It does, thanks!

  14. #14
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,851
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    Yes! This tutorial should help you.

    http://blocksnswaps.blogspot.com/200...g-9-patch.html
    Though you do not need to turn the ♥'s upside down. Keep it all the same direction, and just move the cut pieces as suggested in my PP.

    Same effect and easier to keep it all oriented correctly.

  15. #15
    Super Member May in Jersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,549
    Quote Originally Posted by AFQSinc
    I don't know if this will help you or not but I've made color copies of my fabric and then used that to make a paper maquette. Then you can really see what happens with the actual fabric.
    EXCELLENT IDEA, CAN BE USED WHENEVER MAKING A TRIAL BLOCK. May in Jersey

  16. #16
    Super Member Rainbow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    1,329
    NEAT...NEAT...NEAT

    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Quote Originally Posted by Dina
    Okay, so it is do-able. I did a search and found a thread that had suggestions, but they confuse me. I guess I need to try it on paper. At least that might let me wrap my brain around it.

    Thanks.
    You can make it all with the pieces right side up. Just be sure when you do your slice and dice that you don't twist the pieces. Just switch the top left with the bottom right, sew it up and you've got your D9P block. Then onwards to the next.

    Just watch you don't inadvertently shift one of the blocks at some point!

  17. #17
    Senior Member VickyS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    in hiding
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    Yes! This tutorial should help you.

    http://blocksnswaps.blogspot.com/200...g-9-patch.html
    Yes! This is the one I was trying to find.... :lol:

    I used directional materials in 3 of my 4 corners, which meant I had to resew blocks later when I found the directions of the fabrics were not working for me. My example shown was a different print and color in every block, which made it quite a bit harder to organize into a pleasing pattern. It turned out well, however!

    Thanks for the tutorial Sophie!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.