Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can I stop the dye from running? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-i-stop-dye-running-t23531.html)

QuiltMania 07-31-2009 04:44 PM

Try white vinegar in some water. Rinse it well though because the vinegar smell tends to linger.

BlueChicken 07-31-2009 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I'm so sorry that happened to you, but what a relief that it happened now before you made a bunch of swap blocks!! I hate it for your applique block though. Hope your experiment is working. I use the "Shout"---color catchers and I really like them. If you want...I can send you some....let me know...

Thanks, if I can't find something here I'll yell. It's not something I've ever looked for, or thought about, so there might well be heaps of products here I've just never noticed. lol

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
Try white vinegar in some water. Rinse it well though because the vinegar smell tends to linger.

White vinegar is magic stuff isn't it, so many uses for it. Will that seal the colour in or just pull the extra colour out?

bearisgray 07-31-2009 04:52 PM

can you return it? I consider fabric that bleeds to be defective.

QuiltMania 07-31-2009 04:57 PM

Vinegar is supposed to set the color in.

BlueChicken 07-31-2009 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
can you return it? I consider fabric that bleeds to be defective.

I could... if I knew where I got it from! lol

It's been in my stash for quite some time, I haven't got a clue where I got it. Bits like that which I've bought purely because I love the colour, I tend to get at shows when there's merchants from around the country here.

blahel 07-31-2009 11:22 PM

So sorry to hear about your dye running. I live in Australia and i managed to get some of those color catcher sheets here in Woolworths which i was surprised to get as we cant usually get many things that they can get in the USA. If you can't let me know and I will post you a box.

BlueChicken 07-31-2009 11:24 PM

Ahhh.... I had a look in woolworths tonight but couldn't see any. Mind you, it's quite a small one. We do our weekly shop tomorrow at a bigger store, so will check in there.

:-)

Tippy 08-01-2009 05:35 AM

In the "olden days" I can remember using a strong salt water solution to soak "runny" fabric in to set the color.. Would make a bucket of it, soak the item in it then rinse several times. Worked when I used it but alas I can't remember the proportions.

LindaR 08-01-2009 05:52 AM

make sure its washed in synthropol when it is washed and that will keep it from going onto other fabric. I had some red run once and I stuck it right back in the washer with the synthropol and it all came out...never without it.

LindaR 08-01-2009 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tippy
In the "olden days" I can remember using a strong salt water solution to soak "runny" fabric in to set the color.. Would make a bucket of it, soak the item in it then rinse several times. Worked when I used it but alas I can't remember the proportions.

we used to do this inthe OLD days so our jeans wouldn't fade....now they try and fade them... :lol: