Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can I use this to back a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-i-use-back-quilt-t271939.html)

leighway 11-07-2015 09:07 AM

I was going to add for those of you near a Costco, they have king, queen and twin sized microfiber blankets selling between $17 and $22. These would make marvelous quilt backs. I bought one (king) to use on my bed and the quality is wonderful. The sizing is generous, as well.

pyffer3 11-07-2015 09:35 AM

Love the bright color and soft look.

Boston1954 11-07-2015 01:23 PM

Is it stretchy? If so, you may want to pin, or baste much closer than usual.

DonnaPBradshaw 11-07-2015 02:08 PM

I would use it for sure! I was given a hint that will help with minky, use 505 or something similar to spray the minky so that the fabric does not slip around. Also pin alot! with these two hints I think using minky will be a lot more fun experience!

Kitty10628 11-07-2015 03:29 PM

If its minky it will be fine for backing.

It will not shrink.

Use batting. It will have a better drape.<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

Kris P 11-08-2015 04:57 AM

I use minky and ultra cuddle all the time for backs of quilts. I also use batting. MN is cold in winter, but my dad uses the throw I made him year round. I would also recommend basting spray. as it can be a challenge for fmq. If you fmq, you'll also notice a lot more drag than with a cotton back. It's not impossible, just something to be aware of. as you will want to take frequent breaks in order to rest your arms and shoulders.

keegancak 11-08-2015 05:13 AM

I was wondering the same thing, only with Minky on the back. Would that work on a long arm?

QuiltE 11-08-2015 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Kris P (Post 7369708)
.......If you fmq, you'll also notice a lot more drag than with a cotton back......

I spoke to this issue in post #15 in this thread ... you might want to take a look!

QuiltMom2 11-08-2015 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by salemrabbits (Post 7368748)
I had a microfiber blanket that over time fell apart - made fluff messes (3years or so)...washed it a few times and always dried it. Personally I wouldn't use it for a batting/backing if I wanted the quilt to be around any amount of time.

The same thing happened to me and I don't think I'll ever buy a microfiber thing again.

KnitnutBZ 11-08-2015 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Gail B (Post 7368767)
I think it will work fine. I spray baste my fleece or minky backing with 505 basting spray (or whatever brand you have) to the quilt front & then FMQ. If you spray baste the layers don't shift at all.

I use minky in my quilt backs and it quilts fine. However I find the 505 doesn't work real good in the minky so I have to pin it some too. Or tie it. I have quilts I tied way before machine quilting came to be and they are still going. I gave heard that tieing is on the comeback.