Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can I use this to back a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-i-use-back-quilt-t271939.html)

Monale 11-06-2015 08:41 AM

Can I use this to back a quilt?

1 Attachment(s)
I'm doing a quilt as a Christmas gift for my god-daughter (11). I was originally planning for "normal" batting and backing, but now I came across this wonderful blanket for a bargain. Sorry, I have no idea what that kind of fabric is called, it is very soft and cuddly and looks the same on back and front (it's not fleece):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535060[/ATTACH]

Do you think I could use this for batting and backing? (if not the blanket will go on my own bed! :o)

sahm4605 11-06-2015 08:53 AM

you should be able too. It looks like a soft and comfy type fabric. as long as it is just one layer it should be fine.

linda8450 11-06-2015 08:59 AM

Looks to be a micro-fiber blanket. They are wonderfully warm and cozy! I would not use batting, but just the quilt top and the blanket, quilt both layers and bind! (Unless you hijack it for your bed, lol!)

Monale 11-06-2015 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by linda8450 (Post 7368007)
Looks to be a micro-fiber blanket. They are wonderfully warm and cozy! I would not use batting, but just the quilt top and the blanket, quilt both layers and bind! (Unless you hijack it for your bed, lol!)

micro-fiber blanket - that could be what this is called! Yes, I was thinking of not using additional batting but just this. If that works, it will make that quilt very soft on the back! I've just never quilted anything like this. I guess straight line quilting is probably better than trying FMQ, or would that work?

Jeanne S 11-06-2015 10:16 AM

I would just wash it first in case it bleeds or shrinks a lot. Then use it!

Pollytink 11-06-2015 10:31 AM

I love these! I have a deep red one that I wanted to bleed and washed it with some white minky...it tinted the minky pink and I used that on another small quilt. Got brown ones and used them as backs on lap quilts for DS and DSIL. They were very inexpensive at Kroger's.

Vat 11-07-2015 03:20 AM

I really don't think you would be very happy with the finished quilt. I have a friend that used minky to back a baby quilt and I helped her with the binding and that was not a fun task.

Stitchit123 11-07-2015 03:26 AM

This makes a very soft and cozy quilt back. I ended up tying mine. I tried quilting scraps first and it was a puckery mess.

Monale 11-07-2015 04:29 AM

That's a good idea to try out on some scraps. Then I'll see if quilting it works or not.

I've never tied any quilt (is it still a "quilt" then? :rolleyes:).

I just think it would be so wonderfully soft and cuddly if I could use this blanket... But if not, at least I know she'll love the fabric I bought originally for the backing (she loves elephants!).

justflyingin 11-07-2015 04:55 AM

I would think it would be well nigh impossible to do nicely on a home machine.