Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can this be made into a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-made-into-quilt-t209573.html)

leatheflea 12-30-2012 05:11 AM

That moves! I think it would give you a headache to make, literally. I worked with some fabric last year that had dots that made me dizzy and that one is worse. Good luck!

GailG 12-30-2012 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5748561)
I think it will be too overwhelming for me and my abilities. If I had one of those programs to make quilts, I might be able to somehow come up with something, but I don't think I can do much but applique. I might do a wall hanging. Thanks for the ideas. Never thought of applique or wall hanging until you all mentioned it. That is definitely do-able...harder than h**l, but do-able. He's going thru a really hard time right now, really hard, and this picture and the thought of a quilt was the only thing that cheered him up. He's 35 and I would never let him near my sewing machine. He does all my computer stuff for me. He's always "hooking us up" with great things. I'd like to put that smile back on his face.

I know that you are wanting to comfort your son in his time of difficulty, but he seems to be playing right into your hands. I don't mean to sound incensitive but some things are not possible. Perhaps a painter could achieve such a design, but I don't think needle and thread is the answer in this case. I know that some people are of the opinion that anything is possible, but let's be real. I think the person who suggested a bargello-type design may be close to it. I have no idea how it could be done, but perhaps those familiar with the bargello would have a clue to how a similar design could be carried out, but with squares and rectangles, not circles. Perhaps your son could design something of this design on the computer and then have it transferred to fabric and handle it as a whole cloth piece. I wish you good fortune and good luck in solving this dilemma.

Steady Stiching 12-30-2012 05:38 AM

It would be difficult....but no more difficult that this quilt which is on my wanna do llist....awesome isnt it:

http://pinterest.com/pin/502644008380761905/

Grace MooreLinker 12-30-2012 05:51 AM

this would drive me crazy my eyes start to spin tooo(:

Debbie C 12-30-2012 05:51 AM

Why is it spinning???!!! Lol!!!

katesnanna 12-30-2012 06:08 AM

Going by a quilt in one of my books it is possible but I'd be worried for my eyesight. I think my eyes would end up spinning, but I wish you all the best.

homecaregiver 12-30-2012 06:13 AM

WOW what a quilting challenge that would be. Maybe talk to some of experts via their web sites. Good luck on this endeavor.
Pat

helenhiwater 12-30-2012 07:00 AM

What a challenge! I think I would change the ovals to rectangles and hit the graph paper. It would be like a postage stamp quilt.

meanmom 12-30-2012 07:17 AM

Steady stitching I have that same quilt pinned on pintrest and the instructions bookmarked. I have looked at it several times. I am thinking about fabrics right now. I plan on starting it soon. It is mostly strip pieced.
What if you did the quilt as a wall hanging. Print it out the size you want it(Kinkos is good for this). Then fuse the whole thing. It would be a lot of cutting but you would only have to quilt the wall hanging. This looks like something my nephew would ask for.

thepolyparrot 12-30-2012 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by suziehammond (Post 5749233)
One point you might want to take into serious consideration. You do all this massive work and then throw it on the bed to discover that all that cool graphic motion is utterly lost!

This is a huge consideration! I made a king-size quilt with the most wonderful "bubbling up" motion in it - on the drawing board and hanging over my balcony. But when I flopped it onto the bed, it lost ALL that bubbling up! It's still a pretty quilt, because of the '30's fabrics and the white-on-white/white-on-natural mix of prints. But the beautiful motion is GONE on the bed. :(

So, I'd definitely recommend to keep it a wall-size. :) I would first try the wholecloth with fabric paints approach and second, the fused applique approach.

If you can get the design printed on giant paper at Kinko's, you can use a tiny bit of Elmer's washable school glue to tack the ovals fusible-side up to the paper. Then just press your background fabric to the fusible shapes. They'll be all laid out precisely for you. :)

Good luck! Hope you do this one and share pictures!