Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can this quilt be saved? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-quilt-saved-t301898.html)

francie yuhas 12-31-2018 08:09 AM

I would soak it a couple of days in retroclean. I would avoid bleach or peroxide...they are hard on fabric.

cashs_mom 12-31-2018 08:52 AM

I have no advice that hasn't already been given, but I wanted to tell you that's an adorable quilt. I made the smaller one and know how much work you put into it. I hope you can get the stains out.

quiltedsunshine 12-31-2018 04:49 PM

Grandma's Secret Spot Remover! That stuff is amazing on cleaning quilts.

Good Luck to You!

homefrontgirl 12-31-2018 06:23 PM

That is one cute quilt!

Another vote for Dawn! Took out some serious bleeding on a quilt I made this summer. I think the stain stick is also a good idea.

Best of luck!

bearisgray 12-31-2018 06:34 PM

i used a stain remover stick on a comforter. it did take the stain out - and it also removed the color.

if possible, test on an inconspicuous area.

e4 12-31-2018 07:29 PM

Retroclean is sodium perborate - a bit stronger than the sodium percarbonate that is in Oxyclean - no it won’t hurt the fabric! It does a great job on most stains, but may not get out the dye that ran. It might, but might not. It definitely will take out the other stain. I use it all the time on vintage linens with awful stains and it usually works wonders. Put the quilt in a big sink or washtub (or the bathtub), get it good and wet, but don’t cover with water yet. Sprinkle a half cup of sodium perborate (Retroclean or other brand) on the quilt mostly near the stain. Spray it with hot water to dissolve and cover the quilt. Let soak for at least 24 hours. Do again if that isn’t enough.

Sodium perborate basically converts to peroxide in hot water. The chemical conversion helps in removing the stain.

themadpatter 12-31-2018 08:36 PM

I've been using oxyclean to soak everything lately, and its gotten almost everything out. Ancient embroidered linens- soaked for a few days, rinse and check, and soak for another few if not done yet. I'm a convert!

ragamuffin 12-31-2018 10:36 PM

We have discussed this at our guild. One of the girls has taken classes at a local museum and they use Orvis soap. It is bought at the harness shop and is basically used for kids who are entering their horses in the country fairs because it cleans good and makes the horse shine. I bought some to use on a quilt I made for my GD. She (or someone) had spilled someone on it and it mildewed and I soaked it with dawn and it did not touch it. So I will try this, just waiting for a nice day because I want to hang it out on the line to partially dry. Good luck on your quilt.

coopah 01-01-2019 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 8184410)
yes, Oxyclean or Retroclean should work well. good luck.

Retroclean. It will not fade the rest of the quilt and took out 30 year old tea and coffee stains on a tablecloth I had.
It's spendy, but it works and one doesn't have to dither around seeking any other solution. No connection to the company. Just a satisfied customer.

Little Lulu 01-01-2019 06:30 AM

I have found that wetting the spots, then putting Blue Dawn, spraying with peroxide and adding baking soda to the spots to make a paste, slightly rubbing in with an old toothbrush and let sit for an hour or longer takes out every spot that I have encountered, including permanent marker, ink, oil, cow manure and grease. I wash it in wash machine with regular detergent in cold water. It may take a couple of times, but it will come out. Good luck!