Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can rotary cutters fly? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-rotary-cutters-fly-t202647.html)

dharinger 10-08-2012 10:34 AM

My son works for TSA. He said it has to be in the checked bag.

cowgirlquilter 10-08-2012 10:56 AM

I would put it inside of luggage, and not in your carry on bag. I also put mine in a sippered small bag, just to ensure I was trying to keep it enclosed, and no problems, hope this helps!

Jingle 10-08-2012 10:57 AM

Mine has flown off my glass topped table when I move something and forgot it was there. Good thing I always put the blade in when I'm done.

Airplanes I have no idea. I don't fly.

barny 10-08-2012 12:28 PM

I know Son declares guns when he is flying and going hunting far off. Sounds like DHaringer knows what to do.

soccertxi 10-08-2012 03:46 PM

I have taken mine in my checked bag with extra blades even. Check about the scissors. Those rules have changed greatly. Last time I flew I had forgotten a pair of craft scissors in my tote. They measured the blades. they were less that 4 inches. The scissors were handed back to me. I was shocked. Nail clippers, small scissors, clover thread cutter (the pendant thingy) all should be ok.

susie-susie-susie 10-08-2012 05:46 PM

Last time my DH and I flew we only had one checked bag. I have a small sewing kit that I take everywhere and as long as scissors are under 4 inches they can go with you onto the plane. I would pack the rotary cutter in checked baggage or leave it (the blade) behind. If in doubt leave it out. They will take it. Check the TSA web site as rules change all the time.
Sue

QuiltnLady1 10-08-2012 08:32 PM

I wonder if it would work to have the blades in the plastic container and the cutter without a blade????

GammaLou 10-09-2012 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by soccertxi (Post 5571618)
I have taken mine in my checked bag with extra blades even. Check about the scissors. Those rules have changed greatly. Last time I flew I had forgotten a pair of craft scissors in my tote. They measured the blades. they were less that 4 inches. The scissors were handed back to me. I was shocked. Nail clippers, small scissors, clover thread cutter (the pendant thingy) all should be ok.

I lost a pendant when trying to check on one time. They said the cover could snap off and it could be used as a weapon. Guess it was an over achiever at TSA??

Tashana 10-09-2012 05:04 AM

Quite a few usually stationary things can get airborne in my sewing room especially when nagging and whining are introduced. Now seriously, I fly a lot and I am 100% sure that you can NOT have it in your carry on. Pack in in your checked luggage. It'll be fine. My dogs fly with me all the time, but once I was not even allowed to have their leashes with me. I had to go back to the counter and figure out how to get friggin leashes to my destination.

coopah 10-09-2012 05:22 AM

Check it through or leave one in the vacation home and one at your "regular" home as someone suggested. Can't take store bought, labeled, sealed jam or jelly either. There's a TSA website with guidelines that might help.