Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can sheets be used? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-sheets-used-t65913.html)

tmw 09-21-2010 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
My Grandmother used sheets all the time for quilting. There were no quilt stores back then. People would give her bags of scraps leftover from making clothes. I have inherited a black and white quilt made with "wet look" fabric and sheets for the batting and backing.

And there are a lot of us out there that don't use all cotton either. I have made several quilts using fleece or minkee for the backing.

I had one relative that used to buy wool army blankets from the Salvation Army and used them for batting.

i see the word Minkee on here alot, but would you tell me what it is, thank-you , thelma

auntmarie 09-22-2010 01:41 AM

this is amazing!!!! I was always thought that sheets were a no no. Now I will use them. I just started a simple Irish chain and wish I knew that I could use the white, cotton sheets. What a time I had buying a good useful white fabric.
Thanks ladies!!!!!

Alice Woodhull 09-22-2010 03:05 AM

If you are a hand quilter and go to buy a sheet for backing, look for the least expensive as they have a smaller thread count. I did a whole cloth quilt and used a sheet for the backing and it turned out fine, even was a prize winner. I haven't used a sheet since, as it was hard on the fingers.

Lacelady 09-22-2010 03:51 AM

I bought two sheets yesterday that I intend to use for backing. They are 100% cotton, 200 thread count, 108in x 108in. The cost the equivalent of $17.40 each.

The last time I bought a piece of cotton this big was from Hancocks of Paducah, same thread count, same width, and about $13 PER YARD, then I had to pay shipping on top of that. As far as I am concerned, I will be looking for more of these sheets.

JETTA 09-22-2010 04:21 AM

Mom and I used sheets all the time back in 60's and I'm using the quilts today so they last a long time.
It's also fun to quilt a floral pattern sheet for the backing.Take it a step further I bought a bridal gown for 15.00 and used satin,beads,lining,etc.to last a life time,it was old giving new life to these gorgeous embellishments.Jet

Aquarius 09-22-2010 06:02 AM

Sorry to say that I use sheets all the time for the backing of my quilts. I don't like to have to piece the backing and I find that I can get a flat sheet a lot cheaper than buying material and piecing it. It's worked out great for me and nobody ever complains that I have a sheet for a backing. To some people, it might not be right but it is right for me.

Candace 09-22-2010 06:44 AM

IMO sheets are so much better looking than muslin used for backing. If you can get some nice sheets with a coordinating print, it is much more interesting than plain, muslin.

SandyinZ4 09-22-2010 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by applique
Mid 70's I had very little money and used three sheets. Two stitched by hand in quarter inch "tunnels" where a fat yarn was pulled into the back side to fill the tunnels. Made an eagle that way, each feather and all details done this way then quilted with a sheet backing. Won a blue ribbon. I learned that a very small needle slipped right through all three sheets without a problem. Went on to using batiks which cost an outrageous $4 a yard in 1974, and looked nothing like batiks today.

Do you still have this quilt? I would love to see your work.

catrancher 09-22-2010 07:03 AM

I used to make comforters out of two flat sheets. They lasted forever.

FroggyinTexas 09-22-2010 07:09 AM

Absolutely! Just laugh at the quilt police, whatever they may think. And I've got quilts I made with 65 percent polyester and 35 percent cotton and vice versa 30 years ago that have never faded in the wash and look like new.