Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Can sheets be used?

I just realized that I have some older (unused) white all-cotton muslin sheets (the package says 134 threads psi - and that they are "sanfordized" to reduce shrinkage to 1%) I've been dreaming of an old fashioned "cottage-y" type quilt in light blue floral & white - could this be used for the white?

Blog Entries
    Sheets are used as backing so I say why not ? Maybe prewash ?

Lots of people use sheets for backing. I used a sheet on my first quilt! I didn't know enough to use 100% cotton, but it has help up fine over 30 years!

Blog Entries
    Many use cotton sheets, so I don't know why not :D:D:D

I'm glad I remembered I had them - thanks! :-D

You sure can I have used them for backings and for piecing
    on the front I buy the flat sheets for backing and the fitted for piecing, works for me :D

Yes I used a sheet as backing on my quilt for my mom. It worked perfectly so I don't see why you couldn't use for the front cotton is cotton. I would recommend washing them though.

I use them all the time, and mostly use sheets for backing fabric. Higher thread count sheets are more difficult to hand quilt through, and cotton sateen can be slick to work with, but I never have any problems using sheets. I think it is against the quilt police guidelines, but I frequently use vintage sheets, and I buy flat solid sheets at places like Ross and TJMaxx and use them for backing all the time. Have even made a couple of whole cloth quilts with interesting sheets.

Blog Entries
    Not long ago someone on an email group I'm on posted about some quilts she got, I believe, from her aunt (after she died maybe). Anyway she was dismayed that these quilts had sheets for backing because, as she said, "real" quilters never use sheets. Quite a few people, including me, did not agree. I have not used sheets in a quilt but that doesn't mean I never will.

Thinking about it, I bet that way-back-when, old sheets were probably used quite often - along with old shirts and dresses. The more I think about it the more I think it would be perfect. Now I just need to start a new bin for yet another project to come....

Banned
    Just remember there are no rules in quilting it is pretty much anything goes. With that said I found a vintage quilt that my MIL made that had cotton, polyester, and I am not kidding here even old cut up sweaters!!

It was done in the early 70's so you can just imagine some of the Groovy prints that are in it.....

Billy

Of coarse...i have used sheets many times. They wear well and launder easily...go for it!

Blog Entries
    I bought a king sized flat sheet at a thrift shop a few years back for $2. Going to use it eventually in some manner. That is a lot of floral fabric that was in good condition. Thread count seems good too.
    Why not use sheets, they can cost less than backing material.

Blog Entries
    Cotton is what we buy off the bolt for quiltsssss and piecing. Sheets are cotton ( off a bolt0 that has been hemmed. Why not?????

Power Poster
    Even the good parts of worn out sheets were salvaged and used - perhaps as filler or foundations -

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    I am glad you posted this. I am finally getting around to finishing the quilt for our bed and am doing new curtains for the room as well.

I did find backing fabic that works but AM going to use king size sheets (cut to size) to create the lining for my curtains. If that goes as all as I hope, then I will not be afraid to use sheets on my quilts.

I have even used "gently" used sheets in place of a batting for a light summer quilt.

My Grandmother used sheets all the time for quilting. There were no quilt stores back then. People would give her bags of scraps leftover from making clothes. I have inherited a black and white quilt made with "wet look" fabric and sheets for the batting and backing.

And there are a lot of us out there that don't use all cotton either. I have made several quilts using fleece or minkee for the backing.

I had one relative that used to buy wool army blankets from the Salvation Army and used them for batting.

My MIL only uses sheets for the batting in her quilts.

Blog Entries
    I look for flannel sheets to use for backing and if not in great shape color wise..use for batting in small projects.
    I also use material that I find that I may not really like...large florals or whatever to use for backing.
    My quilting teacher has some of the prettiest backs to her quilt using scrap pieces and odd blocks...like getting two in one. I love that Idea. So I always after my first two try to be creative with my backs.

I think the reason the quilt police say - NO SHEETS - is because they can be difficult when hand quilting. This is because of the higher thread count. Also, a treated sheet MIGHT shrink less than the cotton fabric off the bolt. I would prewash your other fabric to be sure it has gotten its shrink out!
    Having said that, I've used sheets for backing a number of times and the quilts turned out fine.

Blog Entries
    I look for flannel sheets to use for backing and if not in great shape color wise..use for batting in small projects.
    I also use material that I find that I may not really like...large florals or whatever to use for backing.
    My quilting teacher has some of the prettiest backs to her quilt using scrap pieces and odd blocks...like getting two in one. I love that Idea. So I always after my first two try to be creative with my backs.

Our ancesters used whatever was avaible so you can too.To me thats what quilting is all about, I love going to estate sales and finding a box of scraps that the old farm wife had made aprons and blouses out of.

Quote Originally Posted by prairiequeen
    Our ancesters used whatever was avaible so you can too.To me thats what quilting is all about, I love going to estate sales and finding a box of scraps that the old farm wife had made aprons and blouses out of.
    I agree! Everytime i get yet another quilt out of my scraps I feel I'm honoring my grandma. She saved fabric from scraps/clothing to make her quilts. They were beautiful!

Banned
    Tough to needle if you're hand quilting. Great for machine quilting

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast