Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Home Ec Class >

Home Ec Class

Home Ec Class

Old 09-25-2010, 07:20 AM

My hubby's niece is home schooled and her mom wants me to do a Home Ec class with her. For the sewing part I have planned to make a apron, I would like us to make 5 of them to use them in the cooking part. And for the cooking part I have planned to get together with her mom and grandma and her great grandma to make Christmas cookies. It will be like a 4 generation cooking class for her. With all the cooks in the kitchen she should learn quite a few little lessons.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what all I should show her on the sewing part? Besides the apron? I'm not sure if she has ever sewn anything before..I know she dont have a machine. I have 4 so she can use on anytime she wants to.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:31 AM

My home-ec teacher introduced me to quilting 30+ years ago. She was my mentor in more ways than one. Here are some suggestions for the sewing part of the program.

** Teach her how to shorten a garmet...pants, dress, etc.
** How to use a store bought pattern...mark darts, match dots, etc.
** How to thread machine, wind bobbins, clean lint out of machine, oil if necessary, seam allowances.
** Different fabric types
** How to install a zipper or snaps or velcro
Good Luck!
Old 09-25-2010, 07:36 AM

You will probably have to start by teaching her about the basic sewing tools, and their uses. If she hasn't grown up in the home of someone who sews, she won't know about different kinds of scissors or needles (the kind of things we take for granted). I would also teach her how to sew on a button, and then let her pick a project she would like to try.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Minnesewta
** How to thread machine, wind bobbins, clean lint out of machine, oil if necessary, seam allowances.
Definitely basic machine maintenence! I nearly sewed my first sewing machine to death, not knowing that they needed oiling and such. It sounded so much better when my fiance (now husband) cleaned it out for me the first time.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:41 AM
e4

As important as what you teach be sure to explain WHY it is that way. For example, explain why you would use cotton and not polyester fabric for an apron you are going to cook with, why the stitch length needs to not be too long or too short, etc. Later for the foods portion be sure you explain (or have her look up on the internet) the purpose of each ingredient and why it is important to measure properly (same is true for the sewing part), not make substitutions willy nilly, etc.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:45 AM

How to sew a straight seam, measurments on a tape measure. How to nail a nail, right on, left off with a screw, where to find a water/gas main on a house or under the cabinet behind appliances (not quite sewing but useful) Have fun!!
Old 09-25-2010, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

First thing we were taught about sewing in Home Ec was how to lay out a pattern, mark the darts, pin to straight of grain using the pattern arrows, and how to cut the pattern on the fabric. Then how to thread and sew on the sewing machine. Sewing simple pj pants would be a good starting project. Remember clothes are sewn using a 5/8 seam. That seems huge to me now.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:03 AM

I did some pillowcases from a tutorial given on this board recently. It was fun and easy to do. and would be good practice for straight seams and quarter inch.

http://www.overallquilter.com/latest...-14-pillowcase
Old 09-25-2010, 08:43 AM

I learned how to make tailor tacks in Home Ec, talk about useless info...
Old 09-25-2010, 08:50 AM

Here is a site that combines sewing and good works - your niece can learn two things at once.

http://www.littledressesforafrica.org/blog/

They make simple dresses out of pillowcases for girls in orphanages in Africa.