Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Home Ec Class >

Home Ec Class

Home Ec Class

Old 09-27-2010, 07:11 PM

I worked for one of the Washington State University Cooperative Extension offices before my retirement, and our volunteers had great success teaching young girls and boys how to make a pillow case. They loved the bright color combinations used for the border and trim that were found in the donated fabric stashes. They were also taught how to make simple shorts with elastic waistband and a simple vest.

This has been a successful outreach in the community for over ten years. Good luck and bless you for promoting sewing in the youth of America!
Old 09-27-2010, 07:21 PM

As a extension educator, and an auntie to homeschoolers....check out what the 4-h program has for beginner sewing and foods and nutrition and etc....about every topic you can think of. Check with your local extension agent/educator. You don't have to be in 4-H to pickup the books and their cheap. PM me if you are interested.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:25 PM

Also....Alex Anderson has an excellent book about Quilting with kids. Really great to use and get some basics after they learn about the machine and safety issues.

Originally Posted by Robinlee
As a extension educator, and an auntie to homeschoolers....check out what the 4-h program has for beginner sewing and foods and nutrition and etc....about every topic you can think of. Check with your local extension agent/educator. You don't have to be in 4-H to pickup the books and their cheap. PM me if you are interested.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Minnesewta
My home-ec teacher introduced me to quilting 30+ years ago. She was my mentor in more ways than one. Here are some suggestions for the sewing part of the program.

** Teach her how to shorten a garmet...pants, dress, etc.
** How to use a store bought pattern...mark darts, match dots, etc.
** How to thread machine, wind bobbins, clean lint out of machine, oil if necessary, seam allowances.
** Different fabric types
** How to install a zipper or snaps or velcro
Good Luck!
I so agree with this, I still have never done a zipper, and there are so many pretty skirt patterns, but I am terafied of the zipper. and of reading a pattern, I did not learn these things. God bless.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by penny doty
Originally Posted by Minnesewta
My home-ec teacher introduced me to quilting 30+ years ago. She was my mentor in more ways than one. Here are some suggestions for the sewing part of the program.

** Teach her how to shorten a garmet...pants, dress, etc.
** How to use a store bought pattern...mark darts, match dots, etc.
** How to thread machine, wind bobbins, clean lint out of machine, oil if necessary, seam allowances.
** Different fabric types
** How to install a zipper or snaps or velcro
Good Luck!
I so agree with this, I still have never done a zipper, and there are so many pretty skirt patterns, but I am terafied of the zipper. and of reading a pattern, I did not learn these things. God bless.
I also agree anything that has a zipper I stay miles away.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:35 AM

Give me a zipper over a buttonhole any day! My sewing machine even has a buttonhole setting, but they still make me crazy. I have done lots of zippers, and the only one that gave me any trouble was putting in a fly front on a pair of men's wool pants.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:06 AM

I learned to make a shirt and a dress when I was at school some 40+ years ago.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:50 PM

It's funny that this question came up now. My daughter just turned 33 and she wants me to teach her to sew. I went to Joanne's and bought a bunch of stuff to help teach her what I learned in school. Most things are second nature to me now so this thread has been a good way to jog my memory about what to teach a beginner. I started out by learning to make an apron and then moved on to 'A' line skirts, shirts and dresses. With each item you would learn a basic skill to build on.

I took Home Ec from the mid 60's to '71 so everything I have learned I owe to my Home Ec teacher (:-D thank you Mrs. Beatrice Wood :-D )!!!! I wish that they still taught Home Ec in school now-a-days.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:59 PM

After all the above suggestions about sewing basics, I think a neat project, after the apron, would be a simple purse with a strap and perhaps an outside pocket. Not sure how old your niece is, but girls like accessories.!
Old 09-30-2010, 02:00 PM

The apron project is the most basic one. From this she can learn about pattern selection, fabric selection,laying out the pattern, pinning, cutting, pressing, straight and accurate stitching. (5/8 seam allowance on an apron) She may prepare and then handstitch the hem for a lesson that will last, and come in handy, for a lifetime. She can then add embellishment if she chooses. (i.e. a monogrammed pocket)
I don't know which one of you will have the most fun, but I'm betting on YOU!