Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Can sheets be used?

Quote Originally Posted by bjesso
    If it`s 100% cotton, it will be fine. I use sheets for backings.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalmama
    I just realized that I have some older (unused) white all-cotton muslin sheets (the package says 134 threads psi - and that they are "sanfordized" to reduce shrinkage to 1%) I've been dreaming of an old fashioned "cottage-y" type quilt in light blue floral & white - could this be used for the white?
    Everything I have read warns against using sheets, as backing or piecing fabric, but I do it anyway and the results have not been unpleasant.

Yes indeed gul! I have used sheets for parts of quilt tops, backing, curtains, it's all material and usually a whole lot cheaper and just as good!

Power Poster
    Absolutely. Just prewash.

I used a cotton sheet for the back on my first quilt, and will be using one for my current one...and planning on a flannel one for my next quilt...can't see why you couldn't use it in the quilt top...?

Why not!!? I just had a quilt machine quilted and I used a sheet for backing. Worked out really well.

I think so.

Blog Entries
    This debate over whether or not to use sheets has been going on for years. Do you think our ancesters ever thought of it, they used what they had, and their stuff was (is) absolutely beautiful. My grandma(bless her heart) always used sheets, she always bought a bunch when there was a white sale, she used the patterned ones, though. I don't use sheets, but I know a lot of people who do, and their quilts are gorgeous.

Hehe...I'm doing a whole cloth quilt made entirely from Ikea sheets. Think I'll go to jail?

I purchased 2 sheets in the past several months. Twin size and a queen size. Thread count is wonderful,definitely pre-wash- but they will hold up for years from what I have read.
    They are a breese to sew with, not to mention there are some fabulous prints now.

Hi,Im Dori and Im new here..I repurpose old clothing with bright colors for my quilts..I use white sheets as the backing after I wash them to bring out the contrast in the colors of my blocks...its nice to join you all here...Have a great week!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewingyankee
    I have not thought to use sheets, but I buy new 100% cotton home dec fabric at yard sales. Wash, dry, iron, use. This past week I bought about $100.00 worth for $5.00. I have done this for years. They look great and add extra warmth.
    Some of our quilt artists use the drapery fabric for the back saying it helps hang straighter and flatter.

I work for one of Austalias best bedding companies , so Have lots of goodies come in , some real bargains at times I can tell you I have whole quilts made from sheets ,use them all the time , but I always per- wash all sheets , they have a sizing in them and they sew better without it .
    I say go for it .

I use sheets all the time. I would hit the flea markets in Germany and pick up some nice old cotton sheets. They are so soft and make great backs or are good for piecing as well.

This is great to know. I have always been told that this was a total no no, but now I think I might try it. Thanks for asking the question

I go to estate sales, etc. with this purpose in mind. People usually pass them up. I always buy the ones still in the package. Got 6 of them this summer at $2.00 each. I have about 20 saved. Now for the time to make tops for them. :)

I think sheets are a great idea. I have even used thermal, wool, and flannel blankets instead of batting- works great and saves money. Call it cheap--I call it "upcycling" or even "refashioning".

Why not? It is your quilt.

Hi, Dori. Welcome from N. Texas.

It is very difficult to hand quilt a quilt that has a sheet as the backing. However, I don't think it should be a problem in a quilt that is to be machine quilted.

Jody100

I have used sheets and my mother did also. It makes them look more old fashioned.

I have used sheets as backings for my quilts all the time. It is cheaper for me and I do hand quilt then. Actually, I just finished hand quilting one, with not problem.

I used to use sheets for quilt backs, but I found them a LOT harder to hand quilt through.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I would use it if I had it, I have been so wanting to do a old quilt, and I was given some older fabric, so now I put that aside so it will be used when I get to do one. God bless.

Yup, bedsheets lol :) It's actually my preferred way, first because i have to be thrifty, but also cus i get a pleasure out of being thrifty too, but that's just for me :)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast