Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can sheets be used? >

Can sheets be used?

Can sheets be used?

Old 09-22-2010, 07:45 AM

One of the best things about being an artist is breaking rules and doing it your way. I read all the comments on the use of sheets and they are right on. When making any sewing/quilting project what is important to know characteristics of the fabric you are using and deciding if it will work the way you want. Other than that go for it. One thing that is correct is that the heavier thread count of sheets does make it harder to needle through when hand quilting so take that in to consideration other than that, if the sheet works for you then go for it, quiltzillas be darned.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:47 AM

I was in an area where there were no fabric shops when I started repairing a vintage quilt. It has a lot of white in it. I purchased two twin flat sheets (200 thread count) at WalMart on sale for $3 each. It is working great, no problem sewing.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:23 AM

Wow, WalMart may not have fabric but they sure do have inexpensive quilt backs.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:38 AM

I agree with this and the others that commented on the thread count affecting hand quilting. I thought somewhere on a different thread someone had answered what would be a good thread count for using a sheet and hand quilting. Can't remember. I have no problem using a sheet for a quilt back if I'm machine quilting or tying.
Originally Posted by kellen46
One of the best things about being an artist is breaking rules and doing it your way. I read all the comments on the use of sheets and they are right on. When making any sewing/quilting project what is important to know characteristics of the fabric you are using and deciding if it will work the way you want. Other than that go for it. One thing that is correct is that the heavier thread count of sheets does make it harder to needle through when hand quilting so take that in to consideration other than that, if the sheet works for you then go for it, quiltzillas be darned.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:29 AM

If there is only one reason (there are far more, I am sure) to have used bed sheets it would be to practice making a square -- or anything else for that matter -- that you have not done before. Think of how many times you have used your "umpteen dollar per yard" cloth to practice on! I would be making a beeline drive to the local thrift shop and buy up those bed sheets. What you do not use in a test you can use to clean your machines(s) or anything else as they are pretty much lint-free by then. Those thrift shop sheets are a favorite of mine for doing loads of cleaning and restoration jobs on old machines. :thumbup:
Old 09-22-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by tmw
Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
My Grandmother used sheets all the time for quilting. There were no quilt stores back then. People would give her bags of scraps leftover from making clothes. I have inherited a black and white quilt made with "wet look" fabric and sheets for the batting and backing.

And there are a lot of us out there that don't use all cotton either. I have made several quilts using fleece or minkee for the backing.

I had one relative that used to buy wool army blankets from the Salvation Army and used them for batting.
i see the word Minkee on here alot, but would you tell me what it is, thank-you , thelma
Minkee is a soft fuzzy-ish fabric with a nap. It usually has dots on it. Moda also makes a version that is like Minkee but Minkee is a brand name, I think.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:47 PM

I have not thought to use sheets, but I buy new 100% cotton home dec fabric at yard sales. Wash, dry, iron, use. This past week I bought about $100.00 worth for $5.00. I have done this for years. They look great and add extra warmth.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:56 PM

I used a sheet for my very first quilt....a present for my high school daughter graduating and going off to college.
That was in 1994. She took it with her to Indiana, Italy, Philadelphia and Ohio. Held up nicely. It was a quilt made up of blocks of her best friends hand print, in their favorite color and signed by them. Each hand took me 1/2 hour to applique and embroidery as I followed their handwriting. She "took" her friends with her everywhere she went.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:40 PM

If it`s 100% cotton, it will be fine. I use seets for backings.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:41 PM

If it`s 100% cotton, it will be fine. I use sheets for backings.