Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Can sheets be used?

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalmama
    I just realized that I have some older (unused) white all-cotton muslin sheets (the package says 134 threads psi - and that they are "sanfordized" to reduce shrinkage to 1%) I've been dreaming of an old fashioned "cottage-y" type quilt in light blue floral & white - could this be used for the white?
    The other question to ask is..How is the quilt going to be quilted??? I understand that hand quilting would be hard to do with high thread counts. If machine quilting, then you should be fine. K

Vintage sheets are super-popular right now! Moda even came out with a line called "Dream On" that is based on vintage sheet patterns.

I have a lot of sheets that I use in my quilting and have used solid white many times. The only problem I have had was one time the sheet fabric pilled. Now I make sure they are washed first.

Here is a blog about using vintage sheets: http://vintagesheets.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Many use cotton sheets, so I don't know why not :D:D:D
    Ditto

I am using a sheet for backing on a quilt right now that I'm machine quilting. It was an odd flat sheet with no match and the color was perfect for the quilt. I have been pleasantly surprised!

Blog Entries
    Mid 70's I had very little money and used three sheets. Two stitched by hand in quarter inch "tunnels" where a fat yarn was pulled into the back side to fill the tunnels. Made an eagle that way, each feather and all details done this way then quilted with a sheet backing. Won a blue ribbon. I learned that a very small needle slipped right through all three sheets without a problem. Went on to using batiks which cost an outrageous $4 a yard in 1974, and looked nothing like batiks today.

tmw
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
    My Grandmother used sheets all the time for quilting. There were no quilt stores back then. People would give her bags of scraps leftover from making clothes. I have inherited a black and white quilt made with "wet look" fabric and sheets for the batting and backing.

And there are a lot of us out there that don't use all cotton either. I have made several quilts using fleece or minkee for the backing.

I had one relative that used to buy wool army blankets from the Salvation Army and used them for batting.
    i see the word Minkee on here alot, but would you tell me what it is, thank-you , thelma

this is amazing!!!! I was always thought that sheets were a no no. Now I will use them. I just started a simple Irish chain and wish I knew that I could use the white, cotton sheets. What a time I had buying a good useful white fabric.
    Thanks ladies!!!!!

If you are a hand quilter and go to buy a sheet for backing, look for the least expensive as they have a smaller thread count. I did a whole cloth quilt and used a sheet for the backing and it turned out fine, even was a prize winner. I haven't used a sheet since, as it was hard on the fingers.

Blog Entries
    I bought two sheets yesterday that I intend to use for backing. They are 100% cotton, 200 thread count, 108in x 108in. The cost the equivalent of $17.40 each.

The last time I bought a piece of cotton this big was from Hancocks of Paducah, same thread count, same width, and about $13 PER YARD, then I had to pay shipping on top of that. As far as I am concerned, I will be looking for more of these sheets.

Mom and I used sheets all the time back in 60's and I'm using the quilts today so they last a long time.
    It's also fun to quilt a floral pattern sheet for the backing.Take it a step further I bought a bridal gown for 15.00 and used satin,beads,lining,etc.to last a life time,it was old giving new life to these gorgeous embellishments.Jet

Sorry to say that I use sheets all the time for the backing of my quilts. I don't like to have to piece the backing and I find that I can get a flat sheet a lot cheaper than buying material and piecing it. It's worked out great for me and nobody ever complains that I have a sheet for a backing. To some people, it might not be right but it is right for me.

IMO sheets are so much better looking than muslin used for backing. If you can get some nice sheets with a coordinating print, it is much more interesting than plain, muslin.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by applique
    Mid 70's I had very little money and used three sheets. Two stitched by hand in quarter inch "tunnels" where a fat yarn was pulled into the back side to fill the tunnels. Made an eagle that way, each feather and all details done this way then quilted with a sheet backing. Won a blue ribbon. I learned that a very small needle slipped right through all three sheets without a problem. Went on to using batiks which cost an outrageous $4 a yard in 1974, and looked nothing like batiks today.
    Do you still have this quilt? I would love to see your work.

I used to make comforters out of two flat sheets. They lasted forever.

Absolutely! Just laugh at the quilt police, whatever they may think. And I've got quilts I made with 65 percent polyester and 35 percent cotton and vice versa 30 years ago that have never faded in the wash and look like new.

One of the best things about being an artist is breaking rules and doing it your way. I read all the comments on the use of sheets and they are right on. When making any sewing/quilting project what is important to know characteristics of the fabric you are using and deciding if it will work the way you want. Other than that go for it. One thing that is correct is that the heavier thread count of sheets does make it harder to needle through when hand quilting so take that in to consideration other than that, if the sheet works for you then go for it, quiltzillas be darned.

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    I was in an area where there were no fabric shops when I started repairing a vintage quilt. It has a lot of white in it. I purchased two twin flat sheets (200 thread count) at WalMart on sale for $3 each. It is working great, no problem sewing.

Wow, WalMart may not have fabric but they sure do have inexpensive quilt backs.

I agree with this and the others that commented on the thread count affecting hand quilting. I thought somewhere on a different thread someone had answered what would be a good thread count for using a sheet and hand quilting. Can't remember. I have no problem using a sheet for a quilt back if I'm machine quilting or tying.
    Quote Originally Posted by kellen46
    One of the best things about being an artist is breaking rules and doing it your way. I read all the comments on the use of sheets and they are right on. When making any sewing/quilting project what is important to know characteristics of the fabric you are using and deciding if it will work the way you want. Other than that go for it. One thing that is correct is that the heavier thread count of sheets does make it harder to needle through when hand quilting so take that in to consideration other than that, if the sheet works for you then go for it, quiltzillas be darned.

If there is only one reason (there are far more, I am sure) to have used bed sheets it would be to practice making a square -- or anything else for that matter -- that you have not done before. Think of how many times you have used your "umpteen dollar per yard" cloth to practice on! I would be making a beeline drive to the local thrift shop and buy up those bed sheets. What you do not use in a test you can use to clean your machines(s) or anything else as they are pretty much lint-free by then. Those thrift shop sheets are a favorite of mine for doing loads of cleaning and restoration jobs on old machines. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmw
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
    My Grandmother used sheets all the time for quilting. There were no quilt stores back then. People would give her bags of scraps leftover from making clothes. I have inherited a black and white quilt made with "wet look" fabric and sheets for the batting and backing.

And there are a lot of us out there that don't use all cotton either. I have made several quilts using fleece or minkee for the backing.

I had one relative that used to buy wool army blankets from the Salvation Army and used them for batting.
    i see the word Minkee on here alot, but would you tell me what it is, thank-you , thelma
    Minkee is a soft fuzzy-ish fabric with a nap. It usually has dots on it. Moda also makes a version that is like Minkee but Minkee is a brand name, I think.

I have not thought to use sheets, but I buy new 100% cotton home dec fabric at yard sales. Wash, dry, iron, use. This past week I bought about $100.00 worth for $5.00. I have done this for years. They look great and add extra warmth.

I used a sheet for my very first quilt....a present for my high school daughter graduating and going off to college.
    That was in 1994. She took it with her to Indiana, Italy, Philadelphia and Ohio. Held up nicely. It was a quilt made up of blocks of her best friends hand print, in their favorite color and signed by them. Each hand took me 1/2 hour to applique and embroidery as I followed their handwriting. She "took" her friends with her everywhere she went.

If it`s 100% cotton, it will be fine. I use seets for backings.

If it`s 100% cotton, it will be fine. I use sheets for backings.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast