Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can someone explain to me why (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-someone-explain-me-why-t153055.html)

PatchGirl 09-15-2011 03:40 AM

I watched a report one time that said the most flamable thing in your entire house is your mattress! Go figure...

QuiltE 09-15-2011 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by auniqueview
So if I make some bibs, burb cloths, etc from them, I am not risking the child's life?

Yes and no ... in a much lesser way than long, full body cover garments

QuiltE 09-15-2011 04:16 AM

whooooops .... no caffine yet, so my finger got a little trigger happy! :)

MrsGuava 09-15-2011 04:30 AM

The melting factor is why I would never use "green" quilt batting. We live in a society that has to be told not to put a plastic bag over its head.

Carol J. 09-15-2011 05:27 AM

How did I manage to get this old? And raise 3 children without them burning up in their flannel pajamas?
People today want a guarantee on life's experiences that are their responsibility. No one can prevent a fire unless they use common sense and don't start one. Everything around us can't be made fireproof but we can all be aware of the dangers of fire.
Most of us have used flannel without the retardant for clothing and bedding. I agree, what is the sense of making flannel for children's clothing if you can't use it for them. I say, use whatever flannel you see you like and love your children so much, you will prevent fires in your own home by not using candles or smoking, they cause the most fires.

Carol J.

romanojg 09-15-2011 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
You are far better using flannel/cotton/wool for any of those items as opposed to any synthetic material. If there is a fire or any sort, the natural fibers will burn but will not melt into the skin like synthetics do. Much less risk of serious injury with natural fibers.

this is true; years ago when there was so much polyester and like in fabrics children in fires were getting severly burned because the fabric would melt to their skins. You rarely see those types of fabrics now w/childrens themes on them. Now fabrics w/children themes comes w/warnings to protect the companies. I don't blame them; there are some who will sue even if the know the damage is due to their own negligence

jamsbuying 09-15-2011 05:33 AM

Agreed!! I use all the time for baby blankets, etc.

I would say no more than if you use regular quilter's cotton which isn't treated with flame retardant either... as others have said, it's just the manufacturers protecting themselves against lawsuits. In the labels of my kids' pjs it always says 'do not place near a fire' - but then who would place ANY child near a fire, no matter what they were wearing? :-)[/quote]

SUZAG 09-15-2011 07:44 AM

When I asked a clerk at JoAnne's if they had any that was safe for children's sleepwear she said that they didn't and I had a choice of putting my child in a non-chemically treated garment that I make and not putting her over a flame or giving her matches or buying a pre-made that is chemically treated with carcinogens...what a choice!

luvnquilt 09-15-2011 08:01 AM

Manufacturers have to cover their rear-ends. If you look at the patterns in the 'sleepwear' section, they all say that they are not suitable for childrens sleepwear.

patski 09-15-2011 08:57 AM

why do they put warnings? check out strollers now, they say "remove child before collapsing stroller" OMG how did we know this without the warnings????