Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can someone explain RAK (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-someone-explain-rak-t198600.html)

MarLeClair 08-25-2012 06:34 AM

Can someone explain RAK

I have taken a quick look round but can't find out any info about RAK. It looks like you pick someone and send them some goodies. I am wondering how you get someone's address. In the swaps we get the address to send to. Let me know, please. I am feeling "kindness" today.

carolstickelmaier 08-25-2012 06:59 AM

I have wondered the same thing. I will be keeping an eye out for answers. Thanks for asking.

Originally Posted by MarLeClair (Post 5466415)
I have taken a quick look round but can't find out any info about RAK. It looks like you pick someone and send them some goodies. I am wondering how you get someone's address. In the swaps we get the address to send to. Let me know, please. I am feeling "kindness" today.

jeank 08-25-2012 07:02 AM

RAK = Random Act of Kindness. Just doing something unexpected for someone, usually a stranger.

quilt1 08-25-2012 07:02 AM

the initials stand for random act of kindness.

TwinRiverFarm 08-25-2012 07:11 AM

I have kept a notebook for all the swaps, where I record the boardname, real name and address of everyone I have swapped or contacted, as well as the colors they like. Then I can send them a goodie if I find one they might like. I also make notes on charitable members so I can contribute to their projects sometime, then I can PM for the address. On those days when it seems I need a pick-me-up, sending a surprise always does the trick, and helps me remember to count my many blessings.

MarLeClair 08-25-2012 07:23 AM

Thanks for the reply but I haven't been around that long. Is there someplace our addresses are listed or a person to contact to get an address? Maybe a moderators?

willferg 08-25-2012 07:25 AM

Maybe check the free offers and donations section of this board, see if you can fill any requests or if any of the offers fit your needs...that's a way to get started.

erstan947 08-25-2012 07:30 AM

I usually do a PIF (pay it forward) If some one indicates they are short on a certain color or would like to do a scrappy quilt but have no scraps....I Private message them and ask for their address. Then send what I think would work for them or bring a smile to their face. It is not totally unexpected but is a way to get a mailing address so I can pass on fabric or tools.

dglvr 08-25-2012 07:33 AM

Goooood to know. Thanks

ckcowl 08-25-2012 08:33 AM

RAK's are not generally- planned, (random act)
it is not an (event) or a structured activity
anyone at any time can participate (commit a random act of kindness)
you can browse the donations/help wanted sections of forums & send someone something with out expecting anything in return- there are so many things a person can do to just make someone else's moment mean something-be special- be kind- without expectation of reward-or even acknowledgement is what it's all about.