Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can there be too much quilting on a top? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-there-too-much-quilting-top-t91239.html)

katigirl 01-19-2011 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by QM
In our great grandmother's time, quilts needed to be closely quilted to keep the batting from shifting and falling apart. 1/2" was common. Modern batting is different. I use Theremore, which says to quilt at least every 10". I have seen award winning APQS quilts with 1/4" between rows of quilting. IMHO, that's fine for a wall hanging if it gives the effect you want. I generally have my quilting 2-4" apart. I have won a bunch of blue ribbons in the 10 years I have been doing it.

I have heard that too! Only I've heard that it is every 5" now days. I have also seen and heard that having too much makes them stiff and heavy too.

yellowsnow55 01-19-2011 01:02 AM

I do like lots of quilting, but only on wallhangings. Others are for cuddling up in or under and have to be softer.

Olivia's Grammy 01-19-2011 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf
I know I have said this before. After I work for weeks on a quilt. I don't expect the LAQ to get the credit on my work. I am also a LAQ and I just do freehand and simple. I like for my quilting to disappear into the quilt and just give it the extra finish.

The object is the quilt and the quilting should only enhance the main subject. All you hard work is lost with all that heavy quilting.

Totally agree. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

JAGSD 01-19-2011 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by jgriinke
The quilts in a Longarm competition are being judged on the QUILTING. It's a quilting competition, not a quilt competition. The ones that are shown are just for show. Do you think that someone who just won thousands of dollars for her quilt would put in on a bed? I don't think so.
Just remember which show you are at and enjoy the beauty of these items.
They are showing what can be done. It doesn't mean that you have to do it.
Just think where we would be in the quilting world if no one tried machine quilting in the first place. Hand quilting is not for me and never will be. That doesn't mean that I can't enjoy the beauty of it.
We all have likes and dislikes. It doesn't make one thing or the other wrong, just not what we care for.
Enjoy the differences we all have, and create!

AMEN.

JenniePenny 01-19-2011 06:54 AM

I read an article recently in Fons and Porter magazine titled "Too Much Sugar for a Dime." It was written by quilt historian and quilt show judge Gerald Roy.

Basically, the author argued that just because we have the machines to do the fancy stuff; just because we can do it, doesn't mean that we should. Sometimes the quilting is not in the same style as the quilt at all and doesn't enhance the quilt in any way, and this would be a reason he, as a judge, would take off points. On the other hand, when the quilting works with the quilt, whether it is fancy or simple, that is what is appealing to him.

bizzyquilter 01-19-2011 07:28 AM

Can there be too much quilting on the top? It all depends on the quilt you are making. I'm not crazy about the machine quilting that goes every which way. I like hand quilting a design.

Bobbielinks 01-19-2011 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by JAGSD

Originally Posted by jgriinke
The quilts in a Longarm competition are being judged on the QUILTING. It's a quilting competition, not a quilt competition. The ones that are shown are just for show. Do you think that someone who just won thousands of dollars for her quilt would put in on a bed? I don't think so.
Just remember which show you are at and enjoy the beauty of these items.
They are showing what can be done. It doesn't mean that you have to do it.
Just think where we would be in the quilting world if no one tried machine quilting in the first place. Hand quilting is not for me and never will be. That doesn't mean that I can't enjoy the beauty of it.
We all have likes and dislikes. It doesn't make one thing or the other wrong, just not what we care for.
Enjoy the differences we all have, and create!

AMEN.

A double amen to this.

Candace 01-19-2011 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by dreamboat
I have seen some quilts that are quilted to death on a Long Arm. I think some of us have got lazy and don't want to even try to hand quilt. I have hand quilted 1 king size, 2
full size, and about a dozen or so wall hangings. All this was done in the last 8 years. I have also quilted about a dozen or so on my sewing machine.

I don't think it's about being lazy at all. The minute someone throws a negative in a conversation, I'm sorry but my hackles raise. I'm beginning to enjoy hand applique, but I also like machine applique. It has nothing to with me being lazy.

bizzyquilter 01-19-2011 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Candace

Originally Posted by dreamboat
I have seen some quilts that are quilted to death on a Long Arm. I think some of us have got lazy and don't want to even try to hand quilt. I have hand quilted 1 king size, 2
full size, and about a dozen or so wall hangings. All this was done in the last 8 years. I have also quilted about a dozen or so on my sewing machine.

I don't think it's about being lazy at all. The minute someone throws a negative in a conversation, I'm sorry but my hackles raise. I'm beginning to enjoy hand applique, but I also like machine applique. It has nothing to with me being lazy.

You are right it's not about being lazy. We all have our likes and dislikes that's why we are here to express ourselves.

Bobbielinks 01-19-2011 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam

Originally Posted by kwhite
yes too much. I think there should be diffrent categories in quilt shows for "show quilts" and "quilts to be used by real people" There really is no reson for us normal people to even think about entering anything in a quilt show anymore.

I kind of agree with this. I would love to do more shows but I'm new to long arming and very bad at it. I want to finish a bunch of tops that I have but I keep thinking that if I quilt it, I wouldn't show it. I can't do all that intricate work and that's what I see as winning in ANYTHING. How can I compete even with a very well pieced quilt if I can't quilt it to death?

Don't give up! Most longarm quilt shows have a lot of catagories to show in. Kids division, Rookies division, Traditional and lots more. They even break it down as to one person creating the entire quilt or if two or more people worked on it. Check out the International Machine Quilters website.