Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can there be too much quilting on a top? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-there-too-much-quilting-top-t91239.html)

SandyQuilter 01-21-2011 09:54 AM

Yes, they become boards if there is too much quilting. This is the result of the long arm machines. I've hand stippled quilts, but they still remain soft. I believe that restraint should play a part in how much quilting. And it must be remembered that there should be an even amount of quilting throughout or the quilt ripples--no matter how even it was made. And when I judge quilt shows, a ripple-boarded quilt gets no ribbon, at least from me.
Sandy

eleu16 01-21-2011 01:42 PM

maybe I belong to a rare specie who doesn't like heavy quilting...it is not my cup of tea...I only do real simple hand-or machinequilting , most of them only SID....that's the way I like it....REAL simple , for me the pattern has to shine not the quilting. Who likes it the same way ?

pamsmpk 01-21-2011 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by RST
Sure it can be overdone, but I also see quilts that would be much improved by more quilting, or more thoughtful pairing of quilting design with the piecing patterns.

RST

Exactly!! The quilting should compliment and bring out the piecing...not overwhelm the quilt.

Laura22 01-21-2011 04:30 PM

I think that saying one type of quilting is best for all quilts regardless of the piecing and fabric variations is kind of like saying Hot Pink Fitted Shirts are perfect for all quilters regardless of appearance. I think that there is a right amount of quilting for every quilt and every recipient and that, provided the quilting is pleasing to the end user, that's good enough for me.

In terms of referring to quilts that don't meet a person's style choices as "horrid", well I just have to say "the less apt one is to make declarative statements, the less apt they are to look a fool" Open statements and minds allow different artists to express themselves as they see fit.

lynmccoy 01-21-2011 05:13 PM

Everyone has a right to their opinion. I wouldn't expect long arm quilters to say that hand quilting is wrong,and they don't.If we all had to do the same thing the same way,wouldn't the world start to be dull?It's the variety that makes life and quilting fun and interesting.

SitzSewing 01-22-2011 05:57 PM

I think it is because of the combinaton of battilizer, batting, material and all the decrotive stitching.

SitzSewing 01-22-2011 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

Originally Posted by SitzSewing
I have been almost a year doing a quilting in the hoop and it is both stif and heavy. NEVER, ever, ever will I do this again.

the part i have done is on my profile.

Let me guess, Warm and Natural batting?

I think it is because of the combinaton of battilizer, batting, material and all the decrotive stitching.

gale 01-22-2011 07:07 PM

What is battilizer?

SitzSewing 01-22-2011 07:40 PM

It comes on a roll like some batting does, it is used with quilting in the hoop designs. The design I am currently doing is from " www.hoopsisters.com they have some beautiful designs.

gale 01-22-2011 08:00 PM

Oh ok. Like batting and stabilizer in one? I don't have an embroidery machine.