Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can we be too frugal with quilting supplies? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-we-too-frugal-quilting-supplies-t114010.html)

purrfectquilts 04-06-2011 11:25 AM

I have known for weeks that I would need dark brown fabric for binding plus thread to sew it on. So what's the big deal??

I thought I had exactly, not a smidgen more, enough fabric for the binding so I did not attempt to get any more. But, I forgot that there was a certain pattern to the fabric that would need to be matched or part of the binding would show that and part would show plain brown. Mistake #1.

Quilt came back from Long Arm Services on Saturday and first thing Monday I headed to LQS for binding fabric. Mistake #2. It cost me over $12 whereas if I had gone to a closer store like Hancock's or JoAnn's, it would have been less expensive and less gas mileage.

I thought since I had several spools of brown thread that I was good to go. Didn't check. Mistake #3. I had buttonhole twist ... was like pulling string through so that would not work. Polyester worked fine but was a varigated so the light spots showed up on the binding. Had nice cottom 50 wt but it was old and kept breaking even when I doubled the thread. So off I had to go to the store just for a spool of thread.

Closest store was Hancock's but I only had a coupon for 15%. JoAnn's ... was 3 times farther but I had a 40% coupon. Off to JoAnn's. Impressed by the quality of items they had stocked since I was last there, but still not a good thread choice. Took the best they had. But should have ordered fabric and thread way long ago.

Quilt is done and in the washer, but I left the setting on a small load. Mistake #4 at least if not #5 or 6. Had to redo.

So, my friends, in trying to be frugal I cost myself at least 4 or 5 times what I should have had to pay.

Go ahead and laugh .... I am!!

np3 04-06-2011 11:27 AM

Sounds like a day in my life! Keep smiling!

mommamac 04-06-2011 11:30 AM

like people are always saying - there is lots to be learned on this board. Thanks for being 'teacher of the day' :-D

tomorrow will be better :thumbup:

CloverPatch 04-06-2011 11:38 AM

Love those days! Make a special trip to the fabric store for one item, buy a bunch of other stuff, just to get home and find I didn't get what I set out to get!

Atleast you can smile about it, it will all be worth it when you pull it from the dryer, so fresh and beautiful!

TonnieLoree 04-06-2011 11:44 AM

Oh no, I will not laugh. A snicker of realization that I have done close to the same things while trying to be frugal. Some days it just doesn't pay to save. :-)

Lori S 04-06-2011 11:50 AM

Thats how I have been justifying my stash of all things quilting , so I do nothave to run out.... but even with a sizable stash ... it still happens.... so I guess I need to abandon my excuse and/or keep building.

litacats 04-06-2011 11:50 AM

oh dear I can relate to that, I had 3 trips to town on monday, started of doing what i wanted to do, all went fine till i went to see the co-ordinator for mum, made me late for the mens lunch so i bought McDonalds. forgot that 1 is diabetic and can't have too much bread.
back to town to finish doing what the co-ordinator wanted me to do, checked to see if we could hire a truck from town only to be told we could pick it up just before 5 PM it is now 4 PM takes an hour round trip to town. not impressed had to rush home to get hubby so he could bring the truck home, by the time I got home I was too tired to cook dinner so we had fruit salad and custard and went to bed. but at least I got to talk about what machines I wanted.

purrfectquilts 04-06-2011 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
Thats how I have been justifying my stash of all things quilting , so I do nothave to run out.... but even with a sizable stash ... it still happens.... so I guess I need to abandon my excuse and/or keep building.

Sounds good to me!

quiltmaker 04-06-2011 11:51 AM

Happens to all of us unfortunately...♥

cheryl rearick 04-06-2011 12:06 PM

chuckle chuckle.... (((hugs)))