Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Can we be too frugal with quilting supplies?

I have known for weeks that I would need dark brown fabric for binding plus thread to sew it on. So what's the big deal??

I thought I had exactly, not a smidgen more, enough fabric for the binding so I did not attempt to get any more. But, I forgot that there was a certain pattern to the fabric that would need to be matched or part of the binding would show that and part would show plain brown. Mistake #1.

Quilt came back from Long Arm Services on Saturday and first thing Monday I headed to LQS for binding fabric. Mistake #2. It cost me over $12 whereas if I had gone to a closer store like Hancock's or JoAnn's, it would have been less expensive and less gas mileage.

I thought since I had several spools of brown thread that I was good to go. Didn't check. Mistake #3. I had buttonhole twist ... was like pulling string through so that would not work. Polyester worked fine but was a varigated so the light spots showed up on the binding. Had nice cottom 50 wt but it was old and kept breaking even when I doubled the thread. So off I had to go to the store just for a spool of thread.

Closest store was Hancock's but I only had a coupon for 15%. JoAnn's ... was 3 times farther but I had a 40% coupon. Off to JoAnn's. Impressed by the quality of items they had stocked since I was last there, but still not a good thread choice. Took the best they had. But should have ordered fabric and thread way long ago.

Quilt is done and in the washer, but I left the setting on a small load. Mistake #4 at least if not #5 or 6. Had to redo.

So, my friends, in trying to be frugal I cost myself at least 4 or 5 times what I should have had to pay.

Go ahead and laugh .... I am!!

np3
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like a day in my life! Keep smiling!

like people are always saying - there is lots to be learned on this board. Thanks for being 'teacher of the day' :-D

tomorrow will be better :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Love those days! Make a special trip to the fabric store for one item, buy a bunch of other stuff, just to get home and find I didn't get what I set out to get!

Atleast you can smile about it, it will all be worth it when you pull it from the dryer, so fresh and beautiful!

Oh no, I will not laugh. A snicker of realization that I have done close to the same things while trying to be frugal. Some days it just doesn't pay to save. :-)

Thats how I have been justifying my stash of all things quilting , so I do nothave to run out.... but even with a sizable stash ... it still happens.... so I guess I need to abandon my excuse and/or keep building.

oh dear I can relate to that, I had 3 trips to town on monday, started of doing what i wanted to do, all went fine till i went to see the co-ordinator for mum, made me late for the mens lunch so i bought McDonalds. forgot that 1 is diabetic and can't have too much bread.
    back to town to finish doing what the co-ordinator wanted me to do, checked to see if we could hire a truck from town only to be told we could pick it up just before 5 PM it is now 4 PM takes an hour round trip to town. not impressed had to rush home to get hubby so he could bring the truck home, by the time I got home I was too tired to cook dinner so we had fruit salad and custard and went to bed. but at least I got to talk about what machines I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    Thats how I have been justifying my stash of all things quilting , so I do nothave to run out.... but even with a sizable stash ... it still happens.... so I guess I need to abandon my excuse and/or keep building.
    Sounds good to me!

Happens to all of us unfortunately...♥

chuckle chuckle.... (((hugs)))

Quote Originally Posted by CloverPatch
    Love those days! Make a special trip to the fabric store for one item, buy a bunch of other stuff, just to get home and find I didn't get what I set out to get!

Atleast you can smile about it, it will all be worth it when you pull it from the dryer, so fresh and beautiful!
    Glad I'm not the only one that has done that! :roll:

lol, me too!

Not enough fabric ... check
    Multiple trips to the store ... check
    Wrong thread .. check

Quilt is done ... priceless!

Blog Entries
    Been there and done that too :roll: So we can laugh together :D:D:D

Junior Member Kathi Kraftyzales's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes, we have all done that and Yes, that is how we can justify all our extras. I collect/buy all that I can when I go to garage sales/Goodwill/Thrift Store/Local Methodist Market....all fabric, thread, lace, ribbon, etc....You just never know when you will need it. And when I pass over to the Great Big Quilt Shop in the Sky, some lucky person will buy my stuff at Goodwill.

Blog Entries
    I was in a thrift store in a neighboring town today. They had a cute little quilt rack for $2. I was going to pick it up on my way out. It slipped my mind - now do I spend the time and gas to go back for it?

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Okay, I did laugh.......... but here's a HUG and yes, it sounds like me lol :D:D
    PLEASE show us the quilt when you can!!!

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    I was in a thrift store in a neighboring town today. They had a cute little quilt rack for $2. I was going to pick it up on my way out. It slipped my mind - now do I spend the time and gas to go back for it?
    I'd let my 'fingers do the driving' & call before I went in case it was sold.

Picture will be going in the pictures topic later today. Now it is time to organize the mess I left in my work room. That part is never as much fun as the creative process.

Been there, done that. My husband finally learned to encourage me to be sure I bought enough or a little extra just so we didn't have the headaches caused by not having quite enough! LOL! That was a big step for him.

sigh ... sounds like me :)

Power Poster
    sounds like how my DH thinks

I, on the other hand, tend to go overboard - if one yard is enough, maybe I should get three - while I'm here and it's available?

Been there too many times. What do they say......
    Insanity is when you make the same mistakes over and over, and expect different results.