Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Storing Art Supplies In Same Room As Sewing Supplies >

Storing Art Supplies In Same Room As Sewing Supplies

Storing Art Supplies In Same Room As Sewing Supplies

Old 06-07-2019, 05:50 AM

Default Storing Art Supplies In Same Room As Sewing Supplies

Anyone out there work with paints and other art supplies in the same space as your sewing stuff? How do you store them? What is your artsy work space like?

~ C
Old 06-07-2019, 12:56 PM

I use plastic shoe boxes. I have beads in one, stencils for making thank you cards etc in another, buttons for crafting in another. Paints I keep in a basket, etc.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:54 PM

I have a bunch of water color supplies in a big tote, but I truly haven't touched painting stuff in several years. I'm too busy trying to use up my huge stash of fabric by making quilts as fast as I can go! I'm keeping the painting supplies just in case something will happen to prevent me from quilt anymore... You see, I'm a little old, old lady!
Old 06-08-2019, 03:16 AM

When my husband got the go ahead to officially work from home , we turned my old stamp room into an office for him. We installed cabinets for storing my card making supplies and quilting supplies. I haven't stamped in several years but couldn't bear to get rid of my supplies.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:34 AM

I use a wire basket system for card and paper supplies. It is on wheels and only 20 inches high. The lower basket is a double tier that holds dies and stock. Next basket has stamps and ink pads. The top basket has bins for scrap fabrics cut and sorted in smaller bins. Since the top is about 20x20 my large ruler, stabilizer and magnetic hoop are tucked in there.

The unit sits under my work table out of the way. It is easy to slide out the basket needed. Another unit holds all the embroidery and serger threads. I love using these units for storage as they can be rearranged according to needs.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:56 AM

I have a long work room (10' x 22'). One long side is lined with windows and tables. The inside wall is all shelves. One end of the room is the sewing area and the other is the painting/building area. I build stuff for gaming tables (think Dungeons and Dragons games) and dioramas (mostly haunted houses and fairy homes). I joke with folks that it is like a switch flipping in my head that says 'time to sew' and then I can feel it building up to 'time to build'. But, once that switch flips, I Must do that project, can't concentrate on anything else - LOL.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-08-2019 at 06:24 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-08-2019, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
I have a long work room (10' x 22'). One long side is lined with windows and tables. The inside wall is all shelves. One end of the room is the sewing area and the other is the painting/building area. I build stuff for gaming tables (think Dungeons and Dragons games) and dioramas (mostly haunted houses and fairy homes). I joke with folks that it is like a switch flipping in my head that says 'time to sew' and then I can feel it building up to 'time to build'. But, once that switch flips, I Must do that project, can't concentrate on anything else - LOL.
Your room sounds wonderful! I love a big bank of windows and your creations sound really interesting. I have a very small space, but I do the same thing. It's time to sew...now it's time to do art...now it's time to fiddle with my fiddles. I have to put the one project completely away before I start on the other, so I tend to work with the seasons. Sewing is for the cold, rainy months and art is for spring and summer, when I can go outdoors. I have an easel, but it doesn't fit in my space, so I'm hoping to bring it up from the shed and put it on the porch for the summer. I haven't used it in years and miss it terribly. I've moved to smaller paintings that I can fit into a drawer when I'm not working on them and that makes me a little sad.

I recently saw an interesting way to store pencils and brushes. It was in a magazine/book titled: "Where Women Create, Mindful Studios." They took a piece of lumber, about 6"x6"x24" and drilled large holes in it, then fit mason jars, or interesting antique vessels into the holes and filled them full of pencils and brushes. It could then sit on the counter or window sill while adding some artistic flair to the room too.

(The magazine was pretty expensive. I almost dropped to the floor when the checker rang it up, but I have really enjoyed the magazine since. Lots of great creativity and inspiration! In the long run it was money well spent.)

~ C
Old 06-09-2019, 07:19 PM

I actually sew more in the summer because the lower floor is cool and a nice break from gardening.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:44 AM

I enjoy quilting and dyeing my own fabrics. I make quilts and art quilts. Two years ago I started skyping with someone who picked me for her quilting buddy who lives a thousand miles away. We skype most weekends and quilt. She only does traditional quilting but I long to get back to painting and dying my fabrics along with quilting. So I don't know how to let her know my wishes, she is very strong and unwilling to try my love of art quilting. I can not find time during the week to get all my dyes and paints out and put them away again. I just love my simple problems, and I'll find a way to get back to my passion. Thanks for listening.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

Just change over Justok. She can skype and find you in your happy zone doing your thing and she can be in her happy zone doing her thing. If you loose her over that maybe she was never a friend. The statement that "someone who picked me for her quilting buddy" is unsettling to me. You mentioned she lives thousands of miles away. That might be a good thing. If she is upset wish her a happy life. I find block and delete very freeing options on the computer.