Old 06-08-2019, 09:42 AM
tropit

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
I have a long work room (10' x 22'). One long side is lined with windows and tables. The inside wall is all shelves. One end of the room is the sewing area and the other is the painting/building area. I build stuff for gaming tables (think Dungeons and Dragons games) and dioramas (mostly haunted houses and fairy homes). I joke with folks that it is like a switch flipping in my head that says 'time to sew' and then I can feel it building up to 'time to build'. But, once that switch flips, I Must do that project, can't concentrate on anything else - LOL.
Your room sounds wonderful! I love a big bank of windows and your creations sound really interesting. I have a very small space, but I do the same thing. It's time to sew...now it's time to do art...now it's time to fiddle with my fiddles. I have to put the one project completely away before I start on the other, so I tend to work with the seasons. Sewing is for the cold, rainy months and art is for spring and summer, when I can go outdoors. I have an easel, but it doesn't fit in my space, so I'm hoping to bring it up from the shed and put it on the porch for the summer. I haven't used it in years and miss it terribly. I've moved to smaller paintings that I can fit into a drawer when I'm not working on them and that makes me a little sad.

I recently saw an interesting way to store pencils and brushes. It was in a magazine/book titled: "Where Women Create, Mindful Studios." They took a piece of lumber, about 6"x6"x24" and drilled large holes in it, then fit mason jars, or interesting antique vessels into the holes and filled them full of pencils and brushes. It could then sit on the counter or window sill while adding some artistic flair to the room too.

(The magazine was pretty expensive. I almost dropped to the floor when the checker rang it up, but I have really enjoyed the magazine since. Lots of great creativity and inspiration! In the long run it was money well spent.)

~ C