Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can You Believe Thread was once 35 Cents? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-you-believe-thread-once-35-cents-t220808.html)

humbird 05-06-2013 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 (Post 6047075)
My goodness! I was going to say that exact thing. I can also remember when bread was the same price, and stamps were a nickel.

I wish I had some of my mother's old wooden spools, and the buttons. She had a large wooden box filled with buttons. We never seemed to actually use them. We just played with them.

Ok, I'm old! I remember the 3cent stamp! Still have the button box...3 infact. Have lots of wooden spools. Don't remember the price of bread. Mother baked her own.

grannie cheechee 05-06-2013 05:06 AM

I remember when gasoline stations would have gas wars. Gas station on every corner, and it would get down to a dime for awhile. Ice cream cone was a nickel for one dip, malted milk was thirty-four cents, and 1/2 gal of ic cream was $1.00 with tax. I remember going to the store for thread, pattern, and fabric with $5.00, and coming home with change. LOL I must be older than I feel.

bearisgray 05-06-2013 05:16 AM

I also remember the 3-cent stamp.

Wish I had kept the old old Sears or Montgomery Ward catalog when a shirt was less than 50 cents. Maybe people really did make only $1.00 a day back then.

If one goes back to percentage of income, maybe some things still cost the same.

If one only had 10 cents, 25 cents was a LOT of money then.

ghostrider 05-06-2013 05:49 AM

Lots of company on Memory Lane this morning. :) When I was in college, gas was 23¢ a gallon, cigarettes were 21¢ a pack, and Life Savers were 5¢ a roll. Life was good!

Prism99 05-06-2013 07:11 AM

I remember when a 3 Musketeers bar was five cents and advertised as big enough to "share with a friend" -- and it was! I used to share with two friends because the bar used to be divided into 3 parts, not 2 as it is now. My father said as a child he was able to buy a bucket of milk (I'm sure it was whole milk!) for a nickel. And I remember when my typewriter keyboard had a cents sign. My current computer keyboard does not have one; I suspect it was replaced by the @ sign!

RedGarnet222 05-06-2013 07:42 AM

Oh my gosh! How fun this thread is. Remember evening in paris perfume, Ipanna toothpaste, orange cream push-up ice cream, blackjack gum? How about 45's and skirts with a huge scratchy slip, I forgot the name of, and you wore a scarf on your ponytail. Oh it was a crinoline!

I have a paper pattern box 3/4 full of thread spools. My niece grew up using them to play with. (she is eight in july) I also have many, many older sewing patterns I have collected through the years. The sizing on them was so different than today's.

Lucio 05-06-2013 07:58 AM

My daughter needed a cover for her Sunbeam mixer and all the patterns in current books were for Kitchenaids. I found a pattern in my pattern drawer and knew it must have been there for many years.....the price on it was 25 cents!

DOTTYMO 05-06-2013 09:00 AM

My father used to tell me about Saturday cinema where you paid 1 penny and watched films plus an orange. He would be 93 now.
My Saturday cinema never interested me but I do remember a man outside giving puppies away.
In the village the milk came in a churn on the back of a cart pulled by a horse and you filled up any container you had.

sandy l 05-06-2013 09:29 AM

I remember back during WW2, Mom fed 5 of us on $5.00 a week. She allways said "Thank G.. for rationing stamps."

pokeygirl 05-06-2013 09:37 AM

I must be really old. I remember everything on this topic. LOL