Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can you have more than one layer of batting in a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-you-have-more-than-one-layer-batting-quilt-t171562.html)

Jan in FL 12-10-2011 02:50 AM

Can you have more than one layer of batting in a quilt?

I am fortunate to have several bolts of 100% high quality cotton batting for quilting recently gifted to me. They are all the thin - I would go as far as to say the thinnest - batting you can buy. The brands are Warm & Natural and others comparable to this brand. I want to make a quilt or two a little heavier and a little thicker. Can I put two layers of batting in the quilt? It will be quilted on a longarm. Any immediate or long term issues? Has anyone ever done this? Thanks for any advice.

mic-pa 12-10-2011 03:19 AM

You can do anything you want, but why would you put two layers of warm and natural in a quilt. That batting in itself is thin but very warm.

Jan in FL 12-10-2011 04:04 AM

My daughters want a quilt heavier than the ones I have been making like the ones they have that my grandmother made. They each have a quilt passed down from her through four generations - some with the pieces and batting almost nonexistent in a few places and all made from flour sacks. They have requested new ones that can be passed down from them to their kids (like I haven't made each grandchild their own already). They say they old ones from my grandmother have been through all their parents and grandparents and they are more special and connected. But one of their favorite things is the weight of the quilt on top of them when they snuggle under it. The only way I can think of to give them that feature is more batting.

alleyoop1 12-10-2011 04:40 AM

There really aren't any quilt police (although some people think they are honorary members!) so it's your quilt, your decision. Put in one layer or several layers. Back it with muslin, flannel, fleece, quilt fabric, or anything you want. Tie it, hand stitch it, or machine stitch it in any pattern you want. Remember, this is YOUR quilt and YOU design it to be what you want. No rules, only the satisfaction of doing it your way for yourself and/or your family and friends.

chiaraquilts 12-10-2011 05:57 AM

This longarm quilter- http://greenfairyquilts.blogspot.com/- often mentions using two batts on her quilts. There are lots of photos of some truly amazing quilting, btw, a really fun blog.

Wendys Quilts 12-10-2011 06:53 AM

I actually did one with two layers on my frame. The batting I used tho was from walmart and not cotton. It made the quilt HEAVY and fluffy. I think my step son will live it.
I, however, won't do double batting again on my frame. It was difficult for me to do.

chaskaquilter 12-10-2011 07:20 AM

I just finished a queen size, 5" squares, quilt for my daughter. She also wanted a heavier quilt. I used two queen size Quilters Dream batts. Darn thing weighed a ton. I tied it. She loves it. It drapes off the corners of her bed beautifully. I need a cool room when I sleep. Don't think I would like the quilt, but this is what a quilt should be in her mind.

NJ Quilter 12-10-2011 07:28 AM

My only comment would be not to try to hand-quilt 2 layers of W&N...ask me how I know. Since you're doing it on a machine that shouldn't be a problem. Especially since W&N is kind of 'sticky' anyhow I don't think you'd have much of a shifting issue as long as it's reasonably well basted. That being said, I agree the one layer of W&N is pretty heavy and warm all on it's own but I understand complying with the wishes of your children.

jmabby 12-10-2011 07:31 AM

I am with your daughters, I love the thicker quilts, the next one I make for myself will have two layers of
Warm and Natural in them.

mucky 12-10-2011 07:33 AM

I did one for my son and DIL and used a wool layer and a cotton layer on her side of the quilt as she is always cold and he is hot. Worked great.