Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can You Help Me Identify This Pattern? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-you-help-me-identify-pattern-t186450.html)

maryellen2u 04-18-2012 09:49 PM

The quilt is called exploding star. It is in the book Scrap Quilting Made Easy edited by Sandra Hatch from House of White Birches. I've got all my 2.5 inch pieces cut, I just have to sew them together to make this masterpiece. God knows when I will get that accomplished! Isn't it gorgeous!?

maryellen2u 04-18-2012 10:00 PM

If the book is out of print, can I post the directions etc. on this board and not violate any copyright laws? I would be happy to do that since I own the book. (bought and paid for with my hard earned cash!) lol

Chay 04-19-2012 04:47 AM

I"m just lurking on this thread but you guys are fantastic in your ability to research and answer questions! It's like the Quilting Board Detective Agency. So generous in your replies - what a great group!

feline fanatic 04-19-2012 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by maryellen2u (Post 5152772)
If the book is out of print, can I post the directions etc. on this board and not violate any copyright laws? I would be happy to do that since I own the book. (bought and paid for with my hard earned cash!) lol

The book may be out of print but is still available new and used. The amazon link I posted had it used for less than $2

firequilt 04-19-2012 05:22 AM

This pattern is called Exploding Star... It is in the book Scrap quilting Made Easy. It is made from Half Square triangles. I made this in 2001, after winning a basket of fat quarters the year before at the quilt show.
I remember making all the half square and then having to square them all up before sewing. (fairly new quilter at that time) this is only about 45 inches square... but using larger half square would make it bigger.

LOVE LOVE THE QUILT.

Aurora 04-19-2012 05:55 AM

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I bought "Scrap Quilting Made Easy" last year for this quilt pattern and forgot I had the pattern until today. It is 2 1/2-inch squares, but I am thinking that it would be a great use for all the 3 1/2-inch squares I have been saving. This is a great book as it contains lots of scrap piecing patterns -- well worth the price.

jaciqltznok 04-19-2012 06:08 AM

great links..thanks so much for finding them all! and thus creating yet another IDEA for my little head..heheheh

onaemtnest 04-19-2012 07:56 AM

Thank-you EVERYONE for your input to my request! So generous of time and research for finding this pattern. Several of you have responded with PM and I appreciate all that has been done.

I'm just like Chay in her response that no matter the question it seems that so many jump at the chance to help another quilter!

Rose_P 04-19-2012 10:03 AM

The HST quilt Exploding Star does not look quite the same to me as the one on the front of that book, which is made with 60 degree triangles. I had to greatly enlarge my screen to see that, but it's definitely not HSTs. It's a similar effect, but not exactly. I don't have the pattern, but it looks as if it would work a lot like the HST designs that are called value quilts, where you start by pairing the lighter and darker triangles and then just keep arranging them until you get the design you want. I'm sure it would be a lot more challenging with the 60 degree angles than with HSTs. The Exploding Star design is different in that it has a lot of all dark and all light squares included that are not pieced with triangles. Both designs are pretty.

dorismae904 04-19-2012 12:47 PM

dsmith is correct. It is the Exploding Star. The pattern is in a book from House of White Birches called Scrap Quilting Made Easy. The displayed quilt in the book is 45 1/2 by 45 1/2 square using blocks that finish 1 5/8. To make a larger size, use larger blocks.