Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cannot use a thimble....argh! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cannot-use-thimble-argh-t62138.html)

Mkotch 08-31-2010 04:02 PM

There seem to be as many different kinds of thimbles as there are quilters. Keep trying them til you find one that works for you. Maybe yours isn't the right size? I like the new gel ones but usually use a metal one with a ridge at the top.

Rose Lee 08-31-2010 04:46 PM

Me too , only leather thimbles for me, the othes are so cumbersome to handle.

quilt-n-girl 08-31-2010 04:54 PM

I have long fingernails too, but I bought a pack of thimbles from Walmart. The pack has three thimbles in it, they are made of leather, and they just fit around the tip of your finger. It does not make you have to clip your nails at all.:-D

quilt-n-girl 08-31-2010 05:06 PM

I bought every thimble out there, plus I have long fingernails. I tried putting one thimble on one finger, and I would just use the next finger I didn't have one on. I tried three thimbles on all three fingers, and I was trying to use my pinky. I did find one that worked for me finally. I bought it from Walmart, and it has three in the pack. It is called Leather Ring Thimbles, made by EZ Quilting, it goes around the tip of your finger, not on top of the tip of the finger. I found them very usefull, Good Luck to you. I hope it works for you, too. :thumbup:

deanna_1 08-31-2010 05:21 PM

I use rubber tips from Staples too. I would cut a piece of moleskin and stick them inside in the place where I push the needle through. It help keep the needle from poking through.

zennia 08-31-2010 05:23 PM

I have sore fingers tonight because I cant use a thimble.

GailG 08-31-2010 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by freezeframe03
I just cannot come to terms with using a thimble. I only have one end of my binding sewn and am already well on my way to a sore finger! Anyone else have this problem and what do you use to keep the needle eye from poking at you?

I totally understand what you are saying!! As much as I love the look of hand stitched quilts, I have not been very successful because of my inability to use a thimble. I have bought all sorts of "thimbles" except the expensive ones that are made especialy for your own finger.

When I hand quilt I push the needle as far as I can with my thumb and index finger, then I send it the rest of the way with the tip and nail of my index finger. When that gets sore I have to stop. Rocking the needle is almost impossible without a thimble. Now this sounds foolish, but when I am wearing a thimble, I have a problem holding the needle with the thumb and index finger. Crazy, huh!

justwannaquilt 08-31-2010 05:49 PM

A BANDAID is what I use!
I put the little "blood soaker" on the area of my finger that I need the cushion. Works wonders and the bandaid looks like hamburger not my finger. I can leave it on to do things around the house and easily change it if it gets to many poke holes. lol Just go to the bathroom and grab another! For 96 cents per 60 I haven't found anything better.

greenbranch 08-31-2010 05:51 PM

I use about 5-6bandaids. I put two on each finger and 2 on my thumb. It works like a charm.
Janie

Calico Grammy 08-31-2010 05:56 PM

My grandmother was an excellent hand quilter (born in 1900) and she always put white (first aid) tape on the tips of her fingers. I cannot use a thimble either, tape still works great for
me, too! Inexpensive, too!