Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cannot use a thimble....argh! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cannot-use-thimble-argh-t62138.html)

perry 08-31-2010 01:21 PM

I wrap a band-aid around my thumb and middle finger. It really helps. Never could use a thimble.

madamekelly 08-31-2010 01:33 PM

They now make leather thimbles, that work much better for those of us who are thimble challenged, or like me, have my father's stubby fingers.

Linda B 08-31-2010 01:53 PM

Now I think I understand the concept of collecting thimbles -- we keep buying ones that we can't or won't use, so we just say we are 'collecting' them!!

grammiepamie 08-31-2010 02:37 PM

I can't use one either. I have long nails and use the back of my index fingernail. I have a little callous on the middle finger from pushing the needle. I am left handed but sew righthanded. I know it is very strange. The only thing I do with my left hand is write.

Homespun 08-31-2010 02:48 PM

I, too, swear by the leather thimbles.

Matilda 08-31-2010 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by laurlync
I have the same problem with a regular, rigid thimble, but I switched to a leather thimble and it works great.

I have a leather one too and I like it very much. Also they make bright colored rubber ones as well as little rounds (what ever they are called) that have sticky on one side to stick to you finger instead of using a thimble. I have never tried those.

Craftygirl 08-31-2010 03:16 PM

Hi, I share your hate of thimbles but have found a perfect solution. Go to www.colonialneedle.com and click on Thimbles and then on Fingertip. They have a wonderful product called Thimble its. It is an oval shaped sticky back piece of hardish plastic. They come in packs of about 100 if I remember correctly - they last so long, I haven't had to reorder for ages. They a absolutely fantastic. Cheap too.

decky 08-31-2010 03:23 PM

I use a leather one on my middle right finger, nothing on any of my other fingers. I tried one of the plastic ones that slipped on the finger, didn't like that at all.

Miss Patsy Jane 08-31-2010 03:44 PM

I can't sew without one either! When mine is out of pocket, I search until I can find one. I have my mother's thimbles but her hands were a lot smaller than mine so I can't use hers and I always know where they are.

Originally Posted by campion
I can't sew without one

weezie 08-31-2010 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by freezeframe03
I just cannot come to terms with using a thimble. I only have one end of my binding sewn and am already well on my way to a sore finger! Anyone else have this problem and what do you use to keep the needle eye from poking at you?

It took me a long time to get used to wearing a thimble. I now comfortably wear a metal one (indentation in the end to "catch" the needle) and it has to be a snug fit; one that does not fit right is impossible to get used to.