Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cannot use a thimble....argh! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cannot-use-thimble-argh-t62138.html)

MsSewer 08-31-2010 06:59 AM

My fingers are so small, and I can't get a thimble to stay on. I use a leather thimble and it works great. I am left handed and the leather thimble can be use for either hand.

misseva 08-31-2010 07:12 AM

i have the same problem. i use the little stick on leather circles. i also have a 'regular' leather thimble but even the small is to large for me. leather dots are the way to go for me!!

mar32428 08-31-2010 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by lfw045
I'm a lefty so I use a leather thimble on my left middle finger and a finger cot on my left thumb.

Me too. I use the leather ones. I have a collection of thimbles my GM kept giving me. Some are sterling silver with mother-of-pearl and are real collectors items.

Glenda Kay 08-31-2010 07:18 AM

Suggestion: Try a leather thimble. If you can get used to that, then try a rubber/plastic one, then a metal one. It is really difficult to learn to use a thimble. I am so grateful to my 7th grade Home Economics teacher who insisted we learn to use a thimble if we wanted a passing grade. She said we'd never regret it. I really struggled & muttered various unkind words under my breath but finally learned & now I can't sew without one. I do have trouble finding thimbles that fit. Apparently my finger tips are smaller than most. Finding a small enough one is difficult.

steelecg 08-31-2010 07:38 AM

I found some small leather dots at the lqs and they are wonderful - It is sticky on the back and reusable - I just take it off and put it on my thread caddy - I think to use a thimble - you had to be introduced to them early in life - so glad I am not the only one

misseva 08-31-2010 07:54 AM

i have that trouble too - i used a piece of tape to go around it to sorta of draw it up smaller. made it fit better but i still like the round leather thimbles.

carhop 08-31-2010 07:57 AM

I can not use a thimble if I put one on I will use another finger, I have tried the leather, plastic, and the metal ones no luck the plaster patch has worked the best for me.

roseOfsharon 08-31-2010 08:01 AM

I use the thimble dots that adhere to your fingers... lol I have two on each hand! I am still looking for the perfect thimble! A friend of mine has a sterling silver one that fits me perfectly and I hope to find one at the next quilting show I go to! Some sell vintage timbles...

Joanieu 08-31-2010 08:17 AM

I only use a thimble when I am quilting and I use the metal with the recessed top on it. When I am doing the binding or piecing I just don't use anything. :)

klgreene 08-31-2010 08:18 AM

I have a bunch of thimbles, but only 1 that fits correctly. If I ever loose that I'm in trouble. Thimbles are like shoes, you have to find the ones that fit.